The key to success in teaching a unit on ecology is to provide good instruction followed by a good review exercise. This PowerPoint consists of 50 slides of questions and answers and provides an excellent review for your unit test.
I use this review PowerPoint of test prep questions after completing the material in this unit: Community Ecology PowerPoint and Notes.
This is NOT a teaching PowerPoint. It is strictly for review purposes. Each slide has one question followed by one answer.
The questions are of varying difficulty levels. Many of the questions are basic and concrete in nature, but many of the questions involve critical thinking and problem solving skills.
This set of questions is perfect for any type of game format. Students can form groups and compete with one another during the review exercise. The review PowerPoint can also be used in a computer lab with each student reviewing independently and silently.
This review PowerPoint is appropriate for any biology or life science class with students in grades 7 - 12.
Topics covered in this lesson are:
- Community Interactions: Definition of community, types of community interactions such as competition, predation, symbiosis, mutualism, commensalism, and parasitism.
- Competition: Definition of competition, definition of resource, the competitive exclusion principle, character displacement, many examples, resource partitioning, the result of organisms having identical niches.
- Predation: Definition, examples, predator, prey, the role of natural selection, adaptations found in predators, adaptations found in prey, mimicry, adaptations found in plants and herbivores.
- Symbiosis: Definition of symbiosis, types of symbiosis, mutualism, commensalism, parasitism, many examples of each.
- Properties of Communities: Species richness and diversity, definition of species richness, definition of species diversity, the species-area effect, the result of habitat destruction.
- Succession: Disturbances, definition and examples of disturbances, definition of succession, types of succession, primary succession, examples of primary succession, secondary succession, examples of secondary succession, pioneer species, climax communities.
Related Resources Include:
Introduction to Ecology PowerPoint with Notes for Teacher and Student
Population Ecology PowerPoint with Notes for Teacher and Student
Community Ecology PowerPoint with Notes for Teacher and Student
Ecosystems and the Biosphere Part 1: Energy Flow and the Recycling of Matter PowerPoint with Notes for Teacher and Student
Ecosystems and the Biosphere Part 2: Biomes of the World PowerPoint and Notes
Humans and the Environment PowerPoint and Notes
FREE Set of Six Ecology Crossword Puzzles
FREE! Backyard Ecology: An Ecological Assessment of Your Back Yard
Lab: Soil Communities
FREE Graphing and Data Analysis Activity on the Symbiotic Relationships of Mycorrhizae
Community Ecology Quiz / Review Worksheet
Community Ecology Task Cards
Community Ecology Homework and Study Guide
Lichens: Informational Text, Critical Reading and Lab Activity
Community Ecology Unit Test
Predator Prey Informational Text and Graphing Activity
For updates about sales and new products, please follow my store:
My TpT Store: Amy Brown Science
You can find me at these locations as well:
My Blog: Amy Brown Science.com
My Facebook Page