Thanks for checking out my Community Helpers activity pack. I began developing this set of activities when I needed a text for guided reading that was more of a story instead of a non-fiction text. As I was looking for a text for my 1st grade guided reading lesson, I couldn’t find what I wanted. Most texts were either too easy without a story/plot line or too hard for my group of students. So, I wrote “Lost at the Fair” and developed the idea into a unit.
“Lost at the Fair” uses simple words - common sight words and easy to sound out words in an interesting plot where a lost boy finds the help from a police officer (community helper) at the fair to find his parents.
Along with this booklet, you will also receive
1. A set of vocabulary word cards to use with the text
2. Graphic organizers to use for comprehension
3. Writing booklet template for students to write about their own experiences with community helpers.
4. Community helpers Can/Have/Are posters
5. Community helpers vocabulary cards
6. Letter template to write to a community helper
7. Poetry Writing templates
8. Community helpers finger puppets
I hope these activities give your students a greater sense of the community helpers in their neighborhood and how they can show their appreciation to them.
Martha from “The Owl Spot”
For clipart, visit my clip art store at www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Just-Draw