Community helpers lesson plans, activities, centers, and guided reading books!
This 155 page unit will teach your PreK, Kindergarten, or 1st grade students about community helpers. It includes different leveled materials to help your meet your students' varying needs.
The unit begins by having students explore the differences between wants and needs. Students then begin to learn about people who help us meet our wants and needs (community helpers).
The lessons focus on the jobs, tools, uniforms, and transportation of firefighters, police officers, and doctors/nurses. At the end of the unit, students choose additional community helpers that they would like to learn about.
Here's what the unit includes:
- Unit goals (essential questions)
- Detailed lesson plans for 22 days of instruction, including technology integration
- All materials needed to teach the lesson plans, including writing/drawing paper and graphic organizers (just add nonfiction books)
- 1 printable readaloud book about needs and wants
- Printable pictures and vocabulary words for posting around the classroom
- List of suggested texts for use with the unit
- Literacy and math centers with a community helpers theme
- 8 different printable guided reading books about community helpers (different levels included at PreK, Kindergarten, and 1st grade reading levels)
- 2 different options for a final project
Please view the preview before you purchase!
By: Learning At The Primary Pond with Ms. Lilypad