Also included in
- This informational text bundle guides secondary students through summarizing the news and writing news articles. Suitable for distance learning and Google Classroom®. Using the W5H graphic organizer and news article template, students will solidify the foundational literacy skills of reading and wri$12.00$18.80Save $6.80
- Prepare for the OSSLT or cover the mandated tasks for the OSSLC: this literacy bundle includes a full semester's worth of literacy passages and comprehension questions, literacy lessons and activities, and literacy assignments. Suitable for distance learning and Google Classroom®. Explore informat$71.00$102.95Save $31.95
- Looking for middle school mini lessons, worksheets, handouts, and activities to teach literacy in the secondary English Language Arts classroom? This MASSIVE bundle includes reading, writing, speaking and listening activities for over 29 weeks of daily lessons, activities and literacy tasks!⚡️⚡️⚡️ OVE$120.00$200.35Save $80.35
This interview assignment includes interview graphic organizers, interview outlines for interview questions, assessment handouts, and digital slide decks for Google Classroom®. Based on the "Humans of New York" project, students will write articles after conducting interviews with partners within the school community.
FEATURES FULL POWERPOINT INTRODUCTION
ASSESSMENT HANDOUTS, WORKSHEETS, AND RUBRIC
DIGITAL SLIDE DECKS FOR GOOGLE CLASSROOM®
This "Humans of My High School" project is an assessment of students' knowledge and understanding surrounding the format of a news article. It is also a great community builder for your classroom and your school.
I lead into this assignment after teaching the basics of reading and writing an article using the "Headlines and Leads," "Writing a News Article" and "Article Summary" lessons available in my TpT store. These lessons explain the W5-H method, a foundational literacy framework that is applicable to any informational text.
Then, using the slideshow lesson for PowerPoint® and Google Slides®, I introduce the concept of "Humans of My High School," based on Brandon Stanton's "Humans of New York" project. I discuss the interview process with students and brainstorm interview questions with my students. I then guide them through filling out the Interview Outline to prepare them for their interview. I also explain my assessment expectations by taking a look at the Assignment Rubric.
Finally, I turn it over to the students to begin their own interview process. Once they have conducted and recorded their interviews, they can use the W5H Graphic Organizer and News Report Format to begin writing their articles. You can instruct students to use Google Drawings®, Google Docs®, or any other word processor to complete their final article.
A differentiated W5H Graphic Organizer has been included to offer additional scaffolding for students who require more support.
Digital slide decks for these resources have also been provided. Simply follow the instructions within the resource to make a copy of these files directly to your Google Drive®.
This lesson is a great addition to the Ontario Literacy Course (OLC) or preparation for the Ontario Literacy Test (OSSLT).
You might also be interested in Mondays Made Easy's Digital Resources.
⭐ Customer Tip! ⭐
Want FREE CREDIT to go towards purchases? Make sure to offer feedback for your downloads! Follow these instructions below:
- Go to your "My Purchases" page to find a "Provide Feedback" button next to each download.
- Follow this link to offer a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases!
- Your feedback is important to me as it helps me to continually improve my products and ensure they are meeting your needs!
Follow me! Be the first to know about product launches, sales, discounts, and free giveaways:
➾ The Blog
For questions, collaborations, or other concerns:
✉ Contact me: firstname.lastname@example.org
Access my Free Resource Library!
Mondays Made Easy is committed to the continual improvement of resources to meet the current needs of teachers. This product was last updated on January 15, 2021.