This community unit contains 25 activities to help your students learn about communities. The objective of this unit is to help your students learn about: community helpers who work and live in their community, how communities change over time, local government, the differences between two different communities, and why communities are important.
Table of contents:
1. Communities KWL
2. Community helpers partner activity
3. Community buildings partner activity
4. Community helper word search
5. Community word activity
6. Community helper and workplace matching
7. Draw a map of my community
8. Map of my community scavenger hunt
9. Community helpers mind maps
(9 mind maps for 9 different community helpers with questions about: the helpers’ roles and responsibilities, workplace, equipment used, and importance to the community).
10. Blank community helper’s template
11. Community helpers Venn Diagram
12. Community alphabetical order
13. A day in a life… writing activity
14. When I grow up I want to be... Activity.
15. My community foldable
16. Community helper riddles
17. Make your own community riddle
18. Create a community helper comic strip
19. Interview a community helper
(Includes: interview template, writing paper, and editing checklist).
20. List how communities change over time.
21. Leadership in my community graphic organiser
22. Our local government (A graphic organiser for students to research the roles and responsibilities of your community’s local government).
23. How has your community changed over time?
24. Compare 2 different communities.
25. Communities are important because…