SIX compare and contrast activities using music lyrics! Lesson plan, student handouts, PowerPoint, Google Slides and answer key. !
No prep music as poetry lesson plan, student handouts, printable song lyrics and answer key to practice compare and contrast passage skills, theme, allusion, identifying claims and relevant evidenice!
Use MUSIC AS POETRY to introduce, practice, assess CCSS.ELA.RL.9:
- How do two texts approach similar themes and topics similarly and differently?
High school reading literature activities are fun with song lyrics and music!
Product Includes (editable DOCX, PPTX, Google Doc & Google slides):
- Lesson Plan
- Student Handouts
- PowerPoint slides
- Google Slides
- Google Doc
- ANSWER KEY
- Common Core Standards: Grade 3 - 12 Reading Literature RL.9
- Learning Focus Question
- Introductory Script
- Mini Lesson: Genre, Allusion, Compare and Contrast
- URL Link to Printable Text: Pesticides Article
- URL Link to Printable Lyrics 1: Big Yellow Taxi by Joni Mitchell
- URL Link to Printable Lyrics 2: The Way it Is by Bruce Hornsby
- URL Link to Printable Lyrics 3: Changes by Tupac
- Guided Practice: Review Exemplar Compare and Contrast Essay
- Independent Practice
- 4 Bonus Compare Contrast Activities for 4 Assessments or Lessons (8 lyric links)!
- Exit Slip
- Early Finisher Activity
- 3-Point and 6-Point Reading Response Rubric for Effortless Grading
- Extra Reusable Assessment Handout to use with ANY text
Simply print the handouts, lesson and answer key, load the PowerPoint, lyrics and music videos, or share the Google Drive link (Google slides) with students to enjoy an effortless, engaging lesson or Google classroom activity to teach students about theme and summary using music videos and song lyrics!
Reuse editable mini lesson and assessment handout with ANY text for repeated, spiraled practice and assessment. This is a lifelong tool!
Testing Prompts are adapted from the NY REGENTS WEBSITE: http://www.nysedregents.org/comprehensiveenglish
INCLUDED SONGS & VIDEOS:
THIS PRODUCT IS NOT AFFILIATED ANY OF THE INCLUDED SONGS, ARTISTS, RECORD COMPANIES, IMAGES, LINKS OR WITH THE NY REGENTS OR THE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION; IT IS FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY.
Middle school and high school students will love all six music as poetry activities to compare and contrast song lyrics!