PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Fun Comparitive Writing Prompts with LYRICS & VIDEO CLIP ACTIVITIES!
PDF Includes complete lesson plan and student handouts:
- Common Core Standards
- Student Friendly Focus
- Bell Ringer
- Mini Lesson
- Guided Practice (with 2 printable texts, "ACE PAPER" comparative writing checklist, Venn Diagram and exemplar comparative paragraph)
- Independent Practice 1 (with 2 printable song lyrics, "ACE PAPER" comparative writing checklist, Venn Diagram and lined space for writing)
- Exit Slip
- Early Finisher Activity
- 6-Point ACEPAPER Writing Checklist/Rubric for effortless grading of student analysis (as opposed to grading for one "correct" answer)
- Independent Practice 2 - 5 to use for 4 subsequent writing activities or complete no prep ELA lesson plans (each with 2 printable texts, "ACE PAPER" comparative writing checklist, Venn Diagram and lined space for writing)
Write a comparative paragraph (a.k.a a controlling idea paragraph) about how rap lyrics relate to the original song lyrics of its background song (example Tupac's "Changes" and Hornsby's "The Way it Is". Also compare a song to an informational text, and compare two speeches.
6 ACTIVITIES: Enforce Writing & Reading Literature common core standards through relevant and engaging lyrics and video clip activities.
- Complete song lyric, text and video links.
- Comparative / controlling idea brainstorm graphic organizer
- Prompt and lined paper for paragraph.
- 6-point ACEPPR Mnemeonic Writing Checklist Rubric for Paragraph or Essay
Your students (between Grades 6 - 12) will LOVE all 6 exercises, as mine did. They will also learn a lot about cultural influences and reinforce anchor common-core standards for writing, reading literature and reading informational text without even realizing it!
This is a great fun activity to get students invested in reading and writing around the holidays or at the beginning or end of the year!
Testing Prompts are adapted from the NY REGENTS WEBSITE: http://www.nysedregents.org/comprehensiveenglish
INCLUDED SONGS & VIDEOS:
THIS PRODUCT IS NOT AFFILIATED ANY OF THE INCLUDED SONGS, ARTISTS, RECORD COMPANIES, IMAGES, LINKS OR WITH THE NY REGENTS OR THE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION; IT IS FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY.
WANT MORE PRINT & GO CULTURALLY RELEVANT RESOURCES?
NEED MORE NO PREP RESOURCES?