PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This compare and contrast nonfiction passage tells the history of four jazz musicians, their careers and how they contributed to jazz music history. Students will practice compare and contrast skills, finding similarities between the musicians and the unique aspects of each musician's career that made each artist important. The song for this activity is written as a reading passage that explores the careers and accomplishments of Billie Holiday, Miles Davis, Duke Ellington and Herbie Hancock. The song also uses a biographical style, highlighting significant facts of each musician's life.
Students will listen to the song, read the lyrics, and find similarities and differences between the four jazz musicians. Additional reading activities include multiple-choice comprehension questions, a timeline activity, and synonyms/antonyms multiple-choice questions based on the song lyrics. More activities are listed below. The song for this activity can be accessed on YouTube or Teachers Pay Teachers for students to listen to.
Listen to the song in the preview!
This resource includes:
- the song lyrics
- 12 multiple-choice reading comprehension questions with the answer key
- a compare and contrast, graphic organizer writing activity
- 10 compare and contrast multiple-choice questions with the answer key
- a compare and contrast text structure, paragraph writing activity with transitional words for student use
- 6 multiple-choice synonyms questions with the answer key
- 6 multiple-choice antonyms questions with the answer key
How to use this resource:
- Students will preview the comprehension questions on pages 1 and 2 then listen to the song while following along with the lyrics on pages 3 and 4.
- Next, students will answer the comprehension questions on pages 1 and 2.
- Students will then complete the remaining activities that are outlined above.
- The answer keys are located on pages 13 - 16.
You may also like:
*Leave a review if you liked our product.*
Copyright © 2018 Rap Opera for Kids. All rights reserved by author. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for more than one teacher, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Images and elements found in this PDF are copyrighted and cannot be extracted and used outside of this file without permission or license. Intended for classroom and personal use ONLY.
*Music production credit: Brandon Coffer
*Photo from Wikimedia Commons https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Jazz/Selected_picture/Archive