Compare Contrast Two or More Texts: Close Reading Strategies and Activities
Aligned with the Common Core State Standards
Use the handouts to encourage close reading and compare/contrast of two or more texts or sources (may be used with multimedia sources such as graphics, videos, podcasts, etc.). They may also be used to compare two different people, focusing on comparing their early life, struggles, and achievements. Includes modified Venn Diagrams specific to the CCSS.
These activities may be used with any news, feature, informational, explanatory, argument, opinion, editorial, persuasive, narrative, or autobiographical article/text. Note: the 6th grade handouts specifically address comparing two biographies or a biography with a memoir.
Students will be required to find evidence from the text to support their answers.
*LINKS to numerous nonfiction articles are included. The articles appeal to teenagers and issues that teens are dealing with. The articles themselves are NOT included. These are meant to be versatile and can be used with any text.*
• Students will read nonfiction passages closely.
• Students will determine the central idea(s) of the article.
• Students will analyze the ideas and identify the supporting evidence.
• Students will evaluate the author’s claims (arguments).
• Students will determine the author’s point-of-view by evaluating the diction and tone.
• Students will compare and contrast two texts and sources (including multimedia sources).
• Students will analyze various events depicted by two authors/creators.
• Students will summarize the text.
Covers the reading informational texts standard RI.9. See the preview for a list of all the standards practiced by grade level.
Created and copyrighted by Tracee Orman
You might like...
Common Core Informative and Explanatory Writing Bundle
Close Reading Questions: Nonfiction Article Review Handouts
Informative/Explanatory Writing: Summarizing a Text
These are perfect companions to my Common Core Graphic Organizers:
• Common Core Bundle for Grades 6, 7, 8
• Common Core Bundle for Grades 9-12
• Common Core Standards Reading Literature & Nonfiction/Informational Graphic Organizers Bundle for Grades 6-12
Find additional writing resources by clicking here.
Find additional reading resources by clicking here.