Students will learn to identify similarities and differences between topics by using compare and contrast skills.
Do you need an engaging, compare and contrast nonfiction passage for your students?
Rap music is your answer!
Based on a history of Hip Hop, rap song, these activities will while they practice compare and contrast skills. Easily incorporate them into independent activities or complete them together as a class lesson. The song for these activities is written as a reading passage that explores how two founding fathers and a mother of Hip Hop contributed to the urban art, and how it developed into a unified sound. If your students enjoy rap or hip-hop music, they will love this reading lesson!
Students will listen to the song, read the lyrics, and find similarities and differences between two pioneers of Hip Hop. Other reading activities include multiple-choice comprehension questions, a timeline activity, multiple-choice context clues questions about Hip Hop terminology and content vocabulary. More activities and details are listed below.
Listen to the song in the preview!
This resource includes:
- the song lyrics
- 12 questions with the answer key
- a c writing activity
- 10 questions with the answer key
- a activity with transitional words for student use
- 7 multiple-choice, questions about Hip Hop terminology and content vocabulary with the answer key
- a with a graphic organizer
- a activity that utilizes the timeline with a word bank of transitional words
- Students will preview the comprehension questions on pages 1 and 2 then listen to the song while following along with the lyrics on pages 3 and 4.
- Next, students will answer the comprehension questions on pages 1 and 2.
- Students will then complete the remaining activities that are outlined above.
- The answer keys are located on pages 13 - 18.
*Leave a review if you liked this activity.*
You may also like:
Copyright © 2018 Rap Opera for Kids. All rights reserved by author. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for more than one teacher, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Images and elements found in this PDF are copyrighted and cannot be extracted and used outside of this file without permission or license. Intended for classroom and personal use ONLY.
*Music credit: Dj TeeTee-Hip Hop instrumental (Scratch Hook) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ou14XRdFUw&t=0s&index=29&list=PL9N2x6W3DbwS3RkkFETyIKRjHjAHUl6F6
*Photo By Bigtimepeace [Public domain], from Wikimedia Commons https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Herc_on_the_Wheels_of_Steel.JPG
*Photo By Mika-photography [CC BY-SA 3.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], from Wikimedia Commons
Used under / Originals have been digitally mixed with other media.
*Font for "Rap Opera ... Kids. History. Reading. Math. And More... School Just Went Beast Mode. Educate. Entertain. Empower!" text by http://www.junkohanhero.com