Products in this Bundle (2)
These paired texts for reading comprehension and close reading are ready to use in your classroom today. Students learn and practice comparing and contrasting informational texts through pictures and paired text passages with posters for support. Great for practice, review, and test prep.
This resource includes a PRINTABLE VERSION and a DIGITAL (PAPERLESS) VERSION meant to be used with Google Classroom™ and Google Slides™ and BOTH DIGITAL AND PAPER/PENCIL VERSIONS ARE INCLUDED!
Picture comparisons and non-fiction paired texts are fun for students to work on as a class, in small groups, and independently. Students learn through a step-by-step process as they move from simple pictures to more complex passages. Completed Venn diagrams for the text passage sets are included to guide teachers in presenting the lessons to students.
A writing outline is included to scaffold students towards independence. The outline guides students step-by-step in writing a compare and contrast paragraph. Three sample essays (for the text passages) are included as a guide for teachers and as references for students.
Start with picture comparisons and mini-posters to reteach basic concepts. Six different picture sets are included along with five graphic organizers to use with them. Next, students are ready to move to comparing and contrasting three sets of non-fiction texts using graphic organizers.
The colored photos in this unit are perfect for projecting onto a SmartBoard or projection board for class discussions and group work. My students enjoy the comparisons and feel confident after completing this unit.
Many different styles of graphic organizers are included, so choose the ones that best suit your class and students.
Perfect for 2nd grade, 3rd grade, and 4th graders who need review. Aligns with CCSS.RI.2.9, CCSS.RI.3.9
- 7 Sets of pictures to compare and contrast
- 5 Graphic organizers to use with the included pictures or any other pictures you want to compare and contrast
- Set of 3 posters in your choice of red and blue or green – including signal words, the meaning of compare and contrast, and an “I Can . . .” statement poster
- 6 Moth and butterfly comparison pages – (2 passages, 4 graphic organizers, a completed Venn diagram for teacher reference, one sample student essay)
- 6 Mount Rushmore and Eiffel Tower comparison pages -(2 passages, 4 graphic organizers, a completed Venn diagram for teacher reference, one sample student essay)
- 6 Giant panda and koala comparison pages - (2 passages, 4 graphic organizers, a completed Venn diagram for teacher reference, one sample student essay)
- 3 Additional compare and contrast graphic organizers to use with any picture or text
- 2 Writing to Compare pages – learning to write a compare and contrast paragraph
This resource is NOT EDITABLE.
HOW DO I ACCESS THE DIGITAL VERSION?
- The digital version of this resource was created with Google Slides™.
- You will need a Google email to make a copy for your Google Drive.
- You can assign these slides through Google Classroom or send them via email to students.
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER I PURCHASE THIS RESOURCE?
- Download and read the PDF directions.
- Click the links to make a copy of each resource for your own drive.
- Assign to your students using the enclosed directions.