Will the shoe fit? Find the story elements and retell a familiar version of Cinderella and compare it with The Egyptian Cinderella written by Shirley Climo. These 7 scaffolded worksheets provide students with the opportunity to reinforce their social studies unit of study about Ancient Egypt and practice their identification of story elements and knowledge of writing a detailed retelling/summary of a book they have read.
Literacy Connection and Books Needed:
* The Egyptian Cinderella written by Shirley Climo and illustrated by Ruth Heller
* Any classic version of the story of Cinderella - one of my favorites is the Walt Disney version because students were more familiar with the movie, even if they hadn't read the book
This packet includes:
* A cover sheet
* Two scaffolded worksheets to record the story elements -of setting,
characters, problem, and solutions for each story
* Two worksheets to record the retelling of the story in students' own
words with the scaffolding of "In the beginning..., First..., Next...,
After that..., and In the end... to guide their writing for each story
* One worksheet to record comparisons of how these two versions of
a similar story are alike and different
* A Venn Diagram worksheet labeled and ready for the students to add the similarities and differences onto this graphic organizer
* One worksheet to add personal favorites and thoughts on which character in the story they would like to be and why
1- Before reading, brainstorm a list of what the students know about the story of Cinderella.
2 - Read aloud or have students read to themselves two versions of the story of Cinderella.
3 - Record the story elements of setting, characters, problem, and solution for each on the worksheets included independently or as a group.
4 - Once these elements are identified, students use them to help write a retelling of each story in their own words on the worksheets included.
5 - Using the story elements and retelling pages as references, students will record ways that these two stories are alike and different on the worksheet included.
6 - Using their similarities and differences paper, students will complete the Venn diagram graphic organizer.
7 - Students will choose their favorite Cinderella and tell why they chose this version on the worksheet included. In addition, students will
share their thoughts on which character in the story they would like to be and why.