Compare and Contrast Story Elements Bundle of Activities
Products in this Bundle (5)
This compare and contrast bundle has everything you need to keep your students engaged as they learn to analyze passages for relationships that can be compared and contrasted using a Venn diagram. It contains 6 resources for teaching students how to compare and contrast two or more characters, settings, or events in a story, by drawing on specific details in the text. The activities in this bundle make comparing and contrasting fun and easy! Students love the activities while teachers love the convenience of these no-prep resources that can be used year after year! These activities can be used for test prep, review, or introduction of the skill. With most of these resources, students will practice reading a passage, and then they will write an essay response that cites evidence from the text.
What's included... To gain a better idea of everything included, please check out the individual PREVIEW for each resource:
- Ideal for introducing this topic to students!
- Teach students to compare and contrast characters, settings, and events.
- Utilizes Venn diagrams
- You have my permission to convert this to Google Slides, if you wish.
- It comes with a matching 4-page companion handout (The companion handout includes both a printable version and a Google Slides version.)
- First, students read a passage that tells about two events.
- Then, they use a Venn diagram to compare and contrast the events.
- Finally, they write an essay and assemble the craftivity.
- Narrative #1: The Peterson Family Road Trip (compare/contrast two characters)
- Narrative #2: Summer at the Lake (compare/contrast two settings)
- Narrative #3: Who Will Walk Pepper? (compare/contrast two events)
- This can also be used as an assessment!
- You get to choose between the print version or the Easel Activity version.
- 27 cards
- You get to choose whether to use the printable format that is played with an entire class or the Google Slides format that can be played individually or with a partner.
- Focus on fluency while practicing the skills of compare and contrast
- After reading each script about two historical figures, they compare and contrast the figures using a Venn diagram.
- You get to choose whether to use the print version or the Google version.
5 days of LESSON PLANS
- These plans outline how and when I use each of the included resources! You don't have to follow the lesson plan format I provide, of course, but it might be helpful in providing a bit of direction for you.
Here's what teachers like you have to say about this bundle:
- Dionne S. said, "THIS IS AMAZING... I was able to stretch this out for a whole week's unit and the kids loved it. They were engaged and fully into both stories. I displayed them on our hallway bulletin board and have had so many compliments from other teachers and grade levels. This was a great resource that I will definitely be using in the next few years."
- Debra L. said, "My students enjoyed using this resource and they were very engaged. The stories were great and it was exactly what I needed for my classroom."
- Katherine C. said, "FANTASTIC resource. Like always, I am always blown away by how much each of your resources can help each of my students based on their needs and understanding of the concept."
- Seenin213 said, "This resource was worth every penny! It really adds the rigor and was a perfect fit for my fifth grade to review a skill they've obviously been practicing since kindergarten."
- Carolina B. said, "One of the BEST purchases I have made. The PPT is such a great component."
These materials were created to specifically address Common Core State Standard RL.5.3: Compare and contrast two or more characters, settings, or events in a story or drama, drawing on specific details in the text (e.g., how characters interact). (The bundle can be used with multiple upper elementary and middle school grade levels, though.)
Copyright by Deb Hanson
Please note: The PowerPoint cannot be edited due to the copyright requirements made by the contributing artists (clip art, font, background).
This item is a paid digital download from my TpT store
The resources in this bundle are to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for more than one teacher is prohibited. This item is also bound by copyright laws. Redistributing, editing, selling, or posting these items (or any part thereof) on an Internet site that is not password protected are all strictly prohibited without first gaining permission from the author. Violations are subject to the penalties of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Please contact me if you wish to be granted special permissions!