This product is a great way to tie in a current event with a popular novel and movie series that students will relate to. At the conclusion of this engaging activity, students will complete a 2-paragraph writing assignment comparing and contrasting the selection process and the opening ceremonies of the Hunger Games and the Olympics.
The PowerPoint for this activity contains the following components:
1) A hook that contains characters from the Hunger Games with his/her Olympic counterpart (example: Finnick/Michael Phelps)
2) Overview of the writing assignment: Compare and contrast the selection process and the opening ceremonies of the Hunger Games and the Olympics.
3) Selection Process: Contains a link to a video clip from The Hunger Games and from the Olympic swimming trials that relate to the selection process.
4) Opening Ceremonies: Contains several slides in the PPT with pictures of the opening ceremony of the Rio Olympics and a link to a 2nd video of the opening ceremony of the Hunger Games.
5) Writing Assignment is posted again in PPT presentation.
6) The final two slides contain some possible answers to the comparison and contrast of the Hunger Games and the Olympics.