Kids love fairy tales and this unit utilizes the genre to guide students through reading comprehension skills that focus on note-taking, summarizing, and comparing. The file also provides tools for successful discussions. The multicultural lessons include Individual assessment, partner collaboration, and a culminating cooperative project with grading rubric for teacher assessment and student self evaluation. Your students will learn about the world and be inspired. Answer keys to compare The Egyptian Cinderella and The Irish Cinderlad, both by Shirley Climo, will give teachers possible examples. Your boys will enjoy The Irish Cinderlad and all your students will be surprised that there is a male version of Cinderella.
This file includes...
* Common Core State Standards
* 4 lessons with detailed lesson plans
* Student folder or notebook cover sheet
* Story Notes graphic organizer checks comprehension with story elements (Example Answer Key using The Irish Cinderlad included)
* Cultural Notes graphic organizer will help students identify and learn about the country in which the story takes place. (Example Answer Key using The Egyptian Cinderella included)
* “Cinderella Stories at a Glance” graphic organizer provides students with a tool for comparing 4 stories and recording main ideas
* 1 color Venn Diagram for individuals or partners to compare and contrast 2 fairy tales (black & white version included)
* Venn Diagram sample Answer Key to compare and contrast The Irish Cinderlad and The Egyptian Cinderella
*Color poster with directions for a Triple Venn Diagram used for a collaborative project (black & white version included)
* Pictures of sample student Triple Venn Diagrams
* 1 colorful “Rules for Discussion” poster (black and white version included)
* 1 colorful “Guidelines for Presentation” poster (black and white version included)
* 20 Essential Question posters
* 13 skills mini posters (2 to a page)
* 1 Definition of Culture poster
* 1 Cultural Feature header
* 4 Cultural Feature mini posters (3 to a page) with a definition of each for your word wall
* 7 pages of book lists on culture and suggested Cinderella stories
Common Core State Standards (3rd Grade)
Common Core Standards (4th Grade)
PLEASE NOTE: This product is a part of a larger cultural unit called "Cinderella, Culture, and the Common Core: A Multicultural Fairy Tale Unit" that includes more reading skills, researching countries, and many more projects. There are over 7 lessons with several activities for group and individual work that utilize several learning styles. More essential questions and skills are included.
Click on the link below to check it out and save $.
Cinderella, Culture and the Common Core: A Multicultural Fairytale Unit