CCSS Math 3.NF.A.3.D and 4.NF.A.2 ask students to compare fractions using various strategies. This set of activites include-
• comparing fractions with the same denominators
• Comparing fractions with a numerator of 3, but different denominators
• Using benchmarks to compare fractions
• Using all strategies (including finding the least common multiple) to compare fractions
I have included a detailed description of 4 different strategies for comparing fractions:
• Comparing the denominators
• Comparing the numerator
• Using benchmarks 0, ½, and 1 to compare fractions
• Finding the least common multiple (LCM)
of the denominators to compare the fractions
A visual answer key is included with each of three of these games so that students can consider the visual size (magnitude) of the fractions that they are trying to compare. There is an answer key included for the fourth game. I have included directions for assembling the cards so that they have both a back and a front.
I offer these activities to be used as center areas to be used by 2-4 students. This type of practice has more appeal to students in my classroom than assigning more worksheets to practice these concepts.
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you.
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
• Look for the green star next to my store logo and click it to become a follower. Voila! You will now receive email
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License