This complete 23 week unit will systematically progress students through the first part of the Within Word Pattern Spelling Stage (Words Their Way by Bear, Invernizzi, Templeton, Johnston) while learning their long vowel patterns including the use Rr-influenced words. These words and word lists are intended for students who are spelling on a late 1st grade to late 2nd grade spelling level and have already learned their short vowel sounds with blends and digraphs. Using this unit is perfect for classrooms that use the Daily5 or Reading/Writing Workshop.
I’ve designed this unit to meet the individual needs of each child in your classroom, yet be easily managed by the teacher. Using the Pre/Post Test, determine where in the unit the child should begin. The students will then study their assigned patterns at school, as well as at home, using the classroom and homework study choice pages. When they are ready, they get a test for another child in the classroom to give to them. This easy and manageable system will allow you to truly meet the needs of each child in your classroom.
The resources and use of those resources in this unit of study are found below.
1. Parent Letter: Gives you a letter you can share with your student’s parents explaining the word study program and the expectations for homework.
2. Classroom Tracker: Keep track of each student’s progression through the spelling unit.
3. Teacher Pages: Gives you a quick reference guide as to what words the students were given to study the patterns, what words are on the spelling test, as well as other words that follow the pattern for your use in small group instruction.
4. Student Pages: Each student page has 2 sections. One for the student to use at school and one for the student to take home and study for homework.
5. Test Pages: These reusable test pages can be printed on card stock and laminated.
6. Word Study Pages: Word Lists that students can use to at home and at school to find multiple words that follow their study patterns.
7. Classroom Word Study Choice Pages: There are 18 different classroom and 18 different homework choices that students can demonstrate they’ve studied the patterns they’ve been given.
8. Resources: Materials you may need to have available to students to be able to complete all the word choices.
Look for more units that progress students through the developmental stages of learning to spell at my store TechieGator on TeachersPayTeachers.com.
I strive to produce high quality lesson tools that make your life easier. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact me!
Techie Gator, aka~ Athena West