This is a comprehensive sight word program that uses the Dolch Sight word lists. This pack includes:
• Editable class list
• Binder covers
• Flashcards (2 different options)
• Parent letter
• Student booklet pages
• Testing pages
• Recording pages
• Portable word wall pages
• Master word list
• Directions and pictures for all parts the program
Here are the steps to the program:
1. Initial testing to see what list each student will start on.
2. Send parent letter home and or talk about the booklets at Back to School Night.
3. Give correct booklet to each student based on their initial testing.
4. Students take booklet home and practice. When they feel ready they will bring the booklet back to school to be tested.
5. If student passes list they move on to the next list. When they have completed the whole booklet, they get the next booklet.
6. Pass out certificates for each booklet they pass. Celebrate the accomplishment. This will also help remind students to bring their booklets in.
7. This keeps going till they have passed all the lists.
This program has been tested for the past 2 years in 1 first grade classrooms with incredible success. By the end of the year 90% of the first graders have passed all lists up to the Dolch 3rd grade words.
• Prep all books before testing. This is a great project for your VIPS to do.
• Get all testing and recording pages into your binder before starting because some of your kiddos will surprise you and blow through the lists.
• Use the sight word sentences to practice voice and expression after the booklets have been completed.
• If you can have a VIP come in and do the testing then it is a program that can run outside of your class with very little involvement on your part.
• Be sure to emphasize that these are sight words so if the student is sounding out the words, even just one on the list, they must take the booklet home and study it till they know it.
• Because it is an at home self-paced programs, reminders may need to be made. Also, your testing person can call those students that haven’t brought their book in for a while to test them. Many times they know the words, they just forget to bring it in.
• Use the worksheets as homework or activities during centers for the students to work on.
• To keep things separate and easily identifiable it is best to color code all the lists using the rainbow colors.
Please look at the product preview, I have put all of the instruction pages in there for you to see how it all comes together.
Please leave any question you may have in the Q&A so I will be more than happy to answer any question you may have about the program.