Also included in
- Looking for a scaffolded sentence structure unit that engages students and breaks down challenging concepts into bite-sized pieces? With visual, brain-based approaches, this sentence structure bundle will engage students both online and in the classroom.Because understanding sentence types is at the$23.00$32.50Save $9.50
Are your students still struggling to identify sentence types? Having difficulty distinguishing between fragments, run-ons, and complete sentences? While students are taught about simple sentences as early as elementary school, some middle and high school students need yearly refreshers on sentence types.
This mini unit packs a powerful punch. Help students to see the value of sentence variety as well as to hone the most basic of sentence structures - the complete thought! - while avoiding fragments and run-ons.
*UPDATE: This resource is now ready for distance learning. Included, you will find a Google Drive™ version of each of the print activities. Google Drive™ documents are in Slides, Docs, and Forms.
SIMPLE SENTENCE UNIT CONTENTS:
1. A simple sentence PPT and Google Slides presentation, which is secured to protect fonts and graphics. You can edit it by adding or deleting slides, but the existing text is not editable.
2. 3 practice assignments which prompt students to think about how to write simple sentences, how to identify the difference between fragments, run-ons and sentences, and how simple sentences can both help them and hinder them as writers. These are included as PDF and Google Slides and Docs.
3. A short quiz that can be used as a pre- and post- assessment to track students' growth and understanding. The digital version is a self-grading Google Form.
4. Suggested answer keys for all activities and the quiz
5. Suggested sequence and use for teachers
- simple sentences
- complete sentences
- independent clause
- dependent clause
Reminding middle and high school students about the structure of a simple sentence lays the foundation for our expectations while providing feedback on writing. Teachers expect complete sentences, and students have the knowledge of how to write them.
***This simple sentence mini-unit is also available as part of my larger Types of Sentences Unit Bundle.
Do you need additional grammar teaching resources to use before or after this simple sentence grammar mini unit? Check these out in my store:
Grammar Diagnostic Assessment - Digital and Print
Parts of Speech Unit - Digital and Print
Rules for Commas and Semicolons Lesson - Digital and Print
Find more grammar teaching resources for middle and high school here.
Let's stay connected for updates, sales, new products, and teaching ideas!
A Couple Tips:
* Be sure to click the "follow" button that is located next to my picture so that you can hear about sales and new products!
* By providing feedback on your purchased products, you can earn points, which ultimately translate into cash toward future purchases...bonus! Plus, I'd love to hear from you.
©Reading & Writing Haven
All rights reserved by author.
Duplication limited to single classroom use only.
Electronic distribution limited to single classroom use only.