Treaty of Versailles to Japanese surrender
This PowerPoint presentation has definitions, pictures, gifs, animations and multimedia aspects on all WWII.
FREE STUDY GUIDE QUESTIONS from PowerPoint
Study Guide: World War II Unit
1. Date the World War II began.
2. What country did Germany invade to start the war?
3. Define dictator.
4. What happened two days after Germany invaded Poland?
5. Who was the dictator of Italy?
6. What group carried out the policies of Joseph Stalin?
7. Who was the dictator of Germany?
8. What group carried out Hitler’s “dirty work” and was known to wear black shirts?
9. Why was the treaty to end World War I part of the cause to start WW II?
10. Who were the brown shirts?
11. What group carried out the policies of Mussolini?
12. Who was Paul von Hindenburg?
13. What is the Italian form of government built on extreme nationalism and racism called?
14. Who was the leader of the Soviet Union during World War II?
15. What pact freed Adolf Hitler in invade Poland?
16. Which country was the first to use the Lend-Lease Act?
17. What was the blitzkrieg?
18. Define anti-Semitism.
19. List the four long term causes of World War II.
20. List the two short term causes of World War II.
21. Date that the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor.
22. Who was Great Britain’s prime minister?
23. What was the title of Adolf Hitler’s book?
24. According to Hitler, what two groups contaminated Germany society?
25. Define isolationists.
26. What was Operation Sea Lion?
27. Which United States ship sank at Pearl Harbor with 1, 177 men on board?
28. What was Operation Barbarossa?
29. What was the “key” element that the Japanese needed to ensure victory at Pearl Harbor?
30. What was Executive Order 9066?
31. Explain totalitarian rule.
32. Who appointed Adolf Hitler to power and what party did Hitler form?
33. What did internationalists believe the United States should do in the war?
34. What was the Luftwaffe?
35. What was the RAF?
36. Who were the Nisei AND what happened to them after the attack on Pearl Harbor?
37. Who was Rosie the Riveter?
38. What was the job of the War Production Board?
39. What office made advancements in military and medical technology?
40. Which Supreme Court case upheld Executive Order 9066?
41. Using their own language as a code, what did many Navajo soldiers work as?
42. What was the “Go For Broke” group?
43. What were WACs and WASPs?
44. What victory prevented the Germans from capturing the Suez Canal?
45. What German defeat marked a major turning point in the war?
46. Dwight D. Eisenhower landed his Allied troops on the Normandy coast on
June 6, 19944, also known as what?
47. Who was the first African-American General in the United States Air Force?
48. Who became an American hero during the battle over the Suez Canal?
49. Who was known and the “Desert Fox” and what country was he from?
50. Which Soviet Union city did the Germans surround for 900 days?
51. Who was Ira Hayes?
52. How much did Congress finally pay to survivors of the Japanese internment camps?
53. Which battle was the last desperate offensive from the Germans?
54. What happened to Hitler on April 30, 1945?
55. Define genocide.
56. Who became President after the death of FDR?
57. What was V-E Day and when did it occur?
58. Who were the “big three” at the Yalta Conference?
59. What was the Maginot Line?
60. Define genocide.
61. How many Jews lost their lives in concentration camps?
62. Who was the Allied commander in the Philippines?
63. What battle was the first major Japanese defeat?
64. What was the biggest naval battle in naval history?
65. What was the Battan Death March?
66. Who led the attack on Tokyo?
67. What is a kamikaze?
68. What battle was the bloodiest battle of the Pacific War?
69. Joe Rosenthal won a Pulitzer Prize for what photograph?
70. List three items that were rationed during the war.
71... What was the string of French and British bunkers along the German border?
72... List the “big three” Allied Powers.
73... List the “big three” Axis Powers.
74. Who was the commander of the Allied forces in Europe?
75. What victory prevented the Germans from capturing the Suez Canal?
76. What German defeat was a major turning point in the war?
77. Define concentration camp.
78. What was the biggest battle in naval history?
79. Where was the first major Japanese defeat?
80. What and when was V-E Day?
81. What and when was V-Jay Day?
82. Define rationing.
83. Define mobilization
84. Define victory gardens
85. During the war Japanese Americans were forced into ___________________ camps.
86. What was Operation Overload?
87. Where were the Nazi war criminals tried?
88. What Executive Order allowed FDR to send the Japanese to internment camps?
89. What was the job of the War Production Board?
90. Who was known as the “desert fox?”
91. Explain what the Bataan Death March was.
92. What was the job of the Price Administration Board?
93. Who were the Nisei?
94. Who were the Issei?
95. What Supreme Court case upheld Executive Order 9066?
96. What Soviet city was surrounded by the Germans for 900 days?
97. What was the “Go for Broke group?”
98. List four items that were rationed during the war.
99. Define island hopping.
100. What was the Manhattan Project?
101. Who was James Doolittle?
102. Which office coordinated the production and distribution of consumer goods?
103. Who coordinated the work of a team of scientists to develop the atomic bomb?
104. Who was Paul Tibbets?
105. On which Japanese city did the United States drop the first atomic bomb and what was the date?
106. Where did the United States drop the second atomic bomb?
107. Who became President of the United States after FDR died?
108. What was important about the Battle of the Bulge?
109. Who was the first African American General in the United States Air Force?
110. List three jobs that women did during the war.
111. What was the nickname of the A-bomb dropped on Nagasaki?
112. Who was Tokyo Rose?
113. Who was General George Patton?
114. In 1988, how much money did the United States government give to the families of the Japanese Americans that were sent to internment camps?
115. What battle was the bloodiest battle of the Pacific War?
116. Who was Joe Rosenthal?
117. What was the Doolittle Raid?
118. When and where was the first A-bomb tested?
119. What was the Enola Gay?
120. When and where did the Japanese surrender to the United States?
121. List the individuals known as the “Big Three.”
122. What was a WAVE?
123. What was the nickname of the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima?
124. Who was the famous scientist that warned the United States that the Germans were experimenting with nuclear fission?
125. What battle took place on June 4, 1942 and was the first clear Allied victory and a major defeat for Japan?
126. What was the name of the battleship where the Japanese surrendered to the United States?
127. Who were the Tuskegee Airmen?
128. What was the Holocaust?
129. Define propaganda.
130. Do you believe that President Truman made the right decision to drop the bombs on Japan? Please, explain your answer.
130. Who do you believe was responsible for the Holocaust? Explain your answer.
131. Do you believe that U.S. involvement in World War II was justified? Explain your answer.