Common Core Secondary Math brings you “Fluent in Math: Fluency Checks for the Common Core”
The Common Core State Standards in Math (CCSSM) stress fluency with skills and procedures along with conceptual understanding and mathematical applications.
Fluency with mathematics at the secondary level requires the same repeated practice and feedback as multiplication facts did in elementary school, however, generating the required fluency checks takes time. Many middle and high school students still believe that as soon as you take a math test, you can purge the information from your brain. I created these fluency checks because I and my students needed them and I hope they can help you and your students.
Students do need to understand how and why math works.
Depending on the student, fluency will precede understanding or understanding will precede fluency. Some students need to be able to “do it” before they can understand it and others need to understand it before they can fluently “do it”.
Each set of fluency quizzes is designed to assess these various components which will help you figure out what part of the process a student struggles with.
You will receive 16 versions of Complex Number Operations with Keys- 4 versions each of Addition/Subtraction, Multiplication, and Division and Mixed Operations.
Addition/Subtraction and Division versions have 5 questions and Multiplication has 6 questions. Calculators are not needed.
Complete answer keys are included.
Individual Complex Number Products:
• Complex Number Operations: Addition & Subtraction Fluency Check
• Complex Number Operations Multiplication Fluency Check
• Complex Number Operations Division Fluency Check
There are more products in the Quadratics Fluency Product line including specific checks for Factoring the following:
• Factoring Special Patterns: Difference of Squares and Perfect Square Trinomials
• Factoring Quadratics All Types Fluency Quiz
• Factoring Quadratics a=1, Fluency Check
• Factoring Quadratics a is composite, Fluency Check
• Factoring Quadratics a is prime, Fluency Check
• Factor Sum and Difference of Cubes Fluency Check
• Factor by Grouping Fluency Check
Check out my activities for completing the square at varying levels of difficulty:
Completing the Square:
• Tic Tac Toe Math: Completing the Square a=1 No Fractions or Radicals required
• Tic Tac Toe Math: Completing the Square a=1 plus Fractions; No Radicals
• Tic Tac Toe Math: Completing the Square a=1 plus Radicals; No Fractions
• Tic Tac Toe Math: Completing the Square a=1 Mixed Problems
• Completing the Square Fluency Quiz / Check a=1 No Fractions/No Radicals
• Completing the Square Fluency Check / Quiz a=1, fractions required, radicals not required
Logo background licensed from The Candy Class
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License