Products in this Bundle (2)
Also included in
- You will love how easy planning is with this complete first grade math unit bundle. The 8 math units provide comprehensive coverage of standards, and the supplemental crafts and activities offer a hands-on high-interest approach to learning. Great for reinforcement, homework or group centers.By buyi$53.55$66.94Save $13.39
- Are you hybrid teaching and looking for a way for students to be creative and engage them with hands-on 2D shapes practice? These resources ensure both your in person students and your remote students are able to manipulate real shapes so that they can work on recognizing 2D shapes, identifying defi$11.20$14.00Save $2.80
Looking for hands-on practice for your students to compose shapes? These worksheets and activities can be used individually, in centers or for homework and assessment, for studying shapes in first grade. The PowerPoint Slides resource can be used with a whole class, small group centers or for individual users just hand out geoboards and let students make shapes - simple to use ! Looking to integrate technology with your young learners? The math center runs itself on an interactive whiteboard or on tablets!
- 2 review of shapes worksheets
- 21 attributes of shapes activities - defining and non-defining attributes
- 15 composing shapes from other shapes composite shapes
- 13 scaled pattern block shapes (large and small)
- 12 dividing shapes in equal shares
Many of these sheets could also be used as a pre-unit and post-unit assessment.
17 slides showing a variety of shapes:
- 4 different squares
- 4 different triangles
- 4 different rectangles
- 1 pentagon
- 1 hexagon
- 1 octagon
- 1 trapezoid
- 1 cat!
Recording sheets - 2 versions
Directions for teachers
In order to give students a firm grasp of combining and partitioning shapes to make new shapes, both large and regular sized pattern blocks are included. This helps smaller hands whose cutting skills inadvertently impair their math skills. Use these bigger pattern blocks to introduce the concept of making new shapes and to ensure that students practice tessellating without gaps.
Run the pattern block sheets on colored construction paper to match pattern block manipulatives available in school.
The pattern block pages also lend themselves to art and math activities, for example to create monsters and describe them using geometrical terms and positional vocabulary.
Each slide lasts 1 minute 30 seconds, which I have found is plenty of time for students to make the shape. But you can challenge your students by giving them a shorter period of time, or longer if you feel it is necessary. The slides also progress on a mouse-click or by touching a tablet screen. Full directions for changing the times are included.
Left to run as is, the slideshow will last 25 minutes - a perfect amount of time for a math center.
Please check the preview to get a better sense of this resource.
You can also print the slides (directions included) to make task cards for students to use if not using the presentation.
Did you buy this when it was on sale? ALL PRODUCTS are discounted for the first 48 hours after uploading. Don't miss out!