It's never too early to think about options for financing college. In this ready-to-use mini project, students apply compound interest skills to
calculate the long-term cost of loans for college. This student-tested and approved project requires problem solving skills as students select from a combination of different loans to provide sufficient funds for college. Students compare the different loan types (all from the real-world). This project can be used with compound interest using or not using exponential equations.
Included in this resource:
- Student directions for 3 part compound interest exploration of college loans
- Teacher's guide
- Editable student pages for customizing to your classroom (great for non-US colleges). Add text boxes and equations with the information you want. You can edit in PowerPoint or Google slides.
This project works well after Compound Interest: Inquiry, Notes and Practice
or Compound Interest: Exponential Function Notes and Practice
"I extended this activity because my students loved it so much! I teach freshman algebra 1 and they were amazed by all the information they were learning! " - Buyer
A great addition to your Algebra or Algebra 2
review and practice and for differentiation. Intermix with other exponential function activities for a deeper understanding.
Logarithm Resources Include:
- Logarithm Paper Chain Activity
- Expand and Condense Logarithmic Expressions Interactive Notebook
- Expand and Condense Logarithmic Expressions Task Card Activity
- Introduction to Logarithms Interactive Notebook
- Logarithm Puzzle Activity
- Exponential Functions in the Real World - Compound Interest
- Compound Interest Real World Applications - College Loans Project
This purchase is for one teacher only.
This resource is not to be shared with colleagues or used by an entire grade level, school, or district without purchasing the proper number of licenses. If you are interested in a site license, please contact me for a quote at email@example.com. This resource may not be uploaded to the internet in any form, including classroom/personal websites or network drives.
Did you know you can earn TPT credits easily?
- Go to your My Purchases page when you login
- Click on the provide feedback button. Quickly rate the product and leave a quick note.
- Each time you give feedback, you earn TPT credit to spend on future purchases.
Benefits of following the store
- Save $$$ - Follow the store and receive updates on new product launches. New products are 20% off in the first 48 hours. To follow simply click on the follow me star at the store. New product launches typically occur once a week.
- Follow the Facebook page
to find out about weekly deals, sales, flash freebies and giveaways.
- Read musings, tips, resources and ideas about teaching, education and education policy on the blog.
Don’t miss out on Math Mondays (all about teaching math).
- No more than 1 email from me directly to my followers per month.
To follow the store and save $$$, click on the follow me star above.