This card sort activity is intended for practice identifying compound words. The five sets of cards contain 20 cards each (to create 10 compound words per set). The student may work on the card sort independently or with a partner.
Included in this material
• 5 sets of compound word cards (10 compound words, using 20 cards per set), with card set number labeled on each card
• Answer key
• Recording sheet
Words Used in the Sorts
• Set 1: airport, baseball, bathtub, butterfly, fireplace, ladybug, pancake, rainbow, snowman, toothbrush
• Set 2: afternoon, bedroom, cowboy, fireman, goldfish, jellyfish, playground, popcorn, strawberry, sunshine
• Set 3: basketball, bathroom, cupcake, earring, eyelid, flashlight, grandfather, mailbox, nightgown, sailboat
• Set 4: backpack, bookshelf, eyeball, footprint, raindrop, seashore, sidewalk, skateboard, stoplight, watermelon
• Set 5: caveman, earthquake, fingerprint, handshake, highway, paperclip, ponytail, sandpaper, skyscraper, toothpick
Alphabetical Order Card Sort
Antonyms Card Sort
Synonyms Card Sort
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and products! Here's how:
• Look for the green star near the top of any page within my store and click it to become a follower. You will then receive customized email updates about my store.