The activities, worksheets and cards included in this pack are designed to help children explore how compound words work.
Demonstration of and practice in blending and segmenting syllables within compound words helps students to develop awareness of the sound (phonological) structure of words.
Playing with compound words also helps students become aware of units of meaning within words and how smaller words can be combined to create new words with specific meaning.
Awareness of words-within-words is an important skill to develop in young readers to help decoding and comprehension.
The activities and worksheets in this pack are particularly useful for those students struggling with phonological awareness. Skills targeted include:
• Creating compound words from picture cues
• Completing compound words, given starting word and picture cue
• Generating compound words from a given starting word
• Segmenting compound words into two words, given picture cues
• Isolating the first word unit of compound words
• Segmenting compound words into component word units
• Dividing written compound words into two words
• Analyzing compound words for potential meaning.
Please check out the preview to see more of what’s included in this pack.
You might also be interested in downloading the freebie “Compound Words Flip Cards” available at my TpT store.