Also included in
- I'll admit, I hate grammar. I hated learning and I'm not a fan of teaching. It is a very necessary evil, in my opinion. I think that's why I've created so many resources, activities, and games related to grammar teaching and learning. This bundle combines many of my grammar resources. You'll find rePrice $50.00Original Price $65.25Save $15.25
- This bundle combines several of my favorite writing resources and activities at a nice discount. Included resources are:CER Poster (nice classroom displays for claim, evidence, reasoning)CER Graphic Organizers (quick graphic organizers to help students apply claim, evidence, reasoning to their writiPrice $16.00Original Price $20.00Save $4.00
- My students are always looking for more speaking practice. This bundle includes many of my students' favorite games that require a decent amount of speaking to play. Most of the games can be scaffolded up or down, depending on students' proficiency levels, simply by adjusting the amount of time theyPrice $16.00Original Price $20.00Save $4.00
- I've been using National Geographic's Pathways (2nd edition) series for years now and it's great. This bundle includes the plans that I follow and all of the supplemental materials I've developed to go with the curriculum. Any supplemental material I use but did not develop myself is linked to in thPrice $138.38Original Price $153.75Save $15.37
- I've been using National Geographic's Pathways series (2nd edition) for years now and it's great. This bundle includes the plans that I follow and all of the supplemental materials I've developed to go with the curriculum. Any supplemental material I use but did not develop myself is linked to in thPrice $84.15Original Price $93.50Save $9.35
- I've been using National Geographic's Pathways (2nd edition) series for years now and it's great. This bundle includes the plans that I follow and all of the supplemental materials I've developed to go with all eight books of the curriculum. Any supplemental material I use but did not develop myselfPrice $127.22Original Price $181.75Save $54.53
- I started using National Geographic's English in Action (3rd edition) series to teach ESL classes for the workforce training division of my local community college. I quickly came to appreciate how easy to use the curriculum was and my students found it very engaging and easy to follow. That said, nPrice $178.60Original Price $223.25Save $44.65
I love activities that allow my students to practice multiple skills! This game allows students to practice forming compound sentences with coordinating conjunctions. All of the sentences involve the modal verb should, so students get a review of that as well. A digital version of this game is also available.
For more information about this game, see my blog post Compounding Conjunctions.
Object: Be the first person to return to Start/Finish by expanding the given sentences using the designated conjunction (and, but, so, or).
Materials Needed & Not Included:
1. – one die per group of students
2. Player Pieces– one per player, popular options in my class include , , and milk jug lids.
Directions for play:
1. Roll the number cube and move your piece.
2. Expand the sentence that corresponds to the number you rolled with the conjunction on your space.
Example: Roll = 1 Space = or “The legal voting age should be raised, or people should be required to pass a test before being allowed to vote.”
Example: Roll = 3 Space = but “Students should not be required to wear school uniforms, but they should have to follow a dress code.”
3. If you are able to state a grammatically correct compound sentence, stay where you are. If you are not able to state a grammatically correct compound sentence, return to your previous square.
4. The first person to make it back to Start/Finish is the winner.
The 6 sentences students will expand are:
1. The legal voting age should (not) be raised.
2. The United States should (not) require a year of military service for every citizen.
3. Students should (not) have to wear school uniforms.
4. Sugary drinks and snacks should (not) be allowed in school.
5. Internet access should (not) be free for all people.
6. Teenagers should (not) have social media accounts.
For more conjunction practice:
The Tie That Binds (paper activity)
Learn more about this activity in the blog post Conjunctions: The Tie That Binds.