Although all Middle School and High School programs of study require core whole-class nonfiction readings, as often as possible, students should choose nonfiction informational reading that hooks their personal interest.
The kids will be more inclined to want to read a topic of their choice (ownership) which will lead to the desire to express their thoughts and interpretations clearly and coherently. Their reading and writing proficiencies will blossom and solidify. This is a win-win teaching/learning idea for teachers and students.
This FREE 8-page product offers:
1. Almost 2-pages of Teacher Notes and teaching suggestions.
2. A Student Directions page that lists Types of Articles as well as Types of Newspapers, Magazines, Online article sources and Texts.
3. A detailed analysis worksheet for note-taking
4. A Ten Sentence format page so students can write a summary of the article using information from their notes, and
5. A format for students to expand their writing proficiency by turning a summary into a full-length essay.
This FREE Common Core and Bloom's Taxonomy aligned activity should be used with any core nonfiction reading as well as for raising reading comprehension thinking and writing skills proficiencies.
For a product that coordinates well with this one, here is a packet that focuses on the parts of essay writing, so when it is time for students to write an expository piece they are prepared to create a focused and supported composition. Download it from
Writing: Write Right! Analytic Writing Made Easy
and to go along with that, check out these writing rubrics
Writing: Write Right! Incredible Critique Forms and Rubrics
Enjoy a Teach It Now Day,
For an automatic Heads-Up! email about Updated and New products, and also for Sales and other promotions, please click on the Follow Me star under my Store name, Connie.