This journal is designed to help improve student listening comprehension. The students are given a listening focus and then write our draw about that skill.
• Make a prediction about what might happen in the story. (Students will write first if the goal is predicting)
• Who are the main characters?
• What is the setting?
• What is your favorite part?
• Inferring (Why do you think the characters are doing what they are doing?)
• What is the problem?
• What is the solution?
• What questions do you have?
• What is the main idea?
• What are the main events in the chapter?
After you read have the students write and draw in their journal. They should respond to the focus question was for that day. With younger students you might practice the same skill for a few days in a row.
If there is time you can have students share their journal entries.