The House of Comprehension is the best tool for English Language Arts teachers in grades 6-9 to help their students learn to understand structure in literature. The program in the book offers educators a complete solution that helps students learn how each element of literature adds depth to a story and further increases students’ enjoyment of reading.
How does The House of Comprehension benefit teachers?
• Forty complete student activities for teaching the importance of every element of literature: character, plot/conflict, setting, theme, symbols, point of view, and tone
• Step-by-step instructions for each activity
• Printable activity sheets for students
• Each activity aligned with Common Core Reading, Writing, Speaking & Listening, and Language standards
• Timing of Activities chart shows where each lesson works best during the study of a fiction or narrative non-fiction piece
• Two planning charts, Unit Structure and Activities Plan, address the Who, What, When, Why, and How for each lesson
• Engaging lessons that work for both proficient and non-proficient students
What is the focus of The House of Comprehension program?
• To promote comprehension of literature
• To instill inductive, deductive, critical, analytic, and creative thinking skills orally and in writing
• To communicate specific objectives, assessments, and outcomes
• To reinforce previously learned concepts
• To reach every type of learner: visual, auditory, and kinesthetic
• To insure that students are active intellectual participants in their education
• To teach through activities that are inspiring, interactive, and evocative.
To introduce you to the The House of Comprehension program, I invite you to download this preview. Also, please check out the quality of the lessons and activities in "The House of Comprehension" by downloading these Freebies that I offer in my store -
“The Ten-Sentence Format,” my Primary Free Product, forms the writing backbone of the ELA class. It works whenever a teacher wants students to write about literature for warm-ups, lesson closure, quick comprehension checks, or short answer essays on tests.
Writing - "Just Say NO to Dull Writing,"
Writing - "Just Say, 'NO!' to Dull Writing", a list of words and phrases with reinforcing activities to make their pieces stronger and more effective.
This teachers' resource has been received very favorably by teachers and administrators alike, with a Profile piece in "Northern Virginia Magazine" (November 2013) "Warding off the Wolves"
http://www.northernvirginiamag.com/entertainment/faces/2013/11/30/warding-off-the-wolves/, and on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/House-Comprehension-Grades-6-9/dp/1938406176.
Dr. Robert William’s, a professor at Radford University, VA, reviewed this book in the "Virginia English Journal" (The Virginia English Journal, Vol. 63, Number 2 Fall 2013/Winter 2014 pgs 71-75) -
"Casserly does an excellent job of collecting and creating and organizing activities coherently, many of which will serve perfectly as scaffolding upon which student comprehension can be built…"
“The text is filled with highly useful activities, and insights into how teachers can motivate and engage with learners as readers, while satisfying … administration’s call for documentation.”
“Constance Casserly’s The House of Comprehension: Teaching Students the Elements of Literature should probably be on most language arts teachers’ bookshelves…”
Through this practical and flexible program, students learn the importance of every element of literature. They recognize that the story and the elements create a complete whole by working together. Incorporating each of these factors into the study of any piece of literature enables students to explain, orally and in writing, whether the story creates a house of straw, of twigs, or of bricks
For the Digital Edition, go to
Click here for the print version
For a FREE coordinating Elements of Literature Power Point, check out
Enjoy a Teach It Now Day,
For an automatic Heads-Up! email about Updated and New products, and also for Sales and other promotions, please click on the Follow Me star under my Store name, Connie.
Middle School ELA Lesson Plans, High School ELA Lesson Plans, Common Core ELA Lesson Plans, Bloom's Taxonomy