This product contains everything you need for your students to complete an author study for an author of their choice. For this project, students will be reading 3 books by their author, researching the author's life, drawing connections between the author's life and the books he/she wrote, and either writing a paper about their findings or creating a PowerPoint about their findings.
This Product Contains the Following Elements
1. In-depth project overview letter for the students.
2. Letter to the parents explaining the project.
3. 4-page list of possible authors and some of their books
4. Author and book choice contract
5. Stage 1 Forms: Student sheets to summarize the books they’ve read by their author
a. There are two formats for this. The first format is more genera. It is titled “Stage One”. The second format allows the student to go into greater detail. It is titled “Stage One Book Summary for Author Study”. (Note, if using this form, students will need 3 copies each – one for each book.)
6. Stage 2 Form: This stage focuses on analyzing elements of author’s craft for each of the three books.
7. Stage 3 Form: This stage focuses on research about the author’s life.
8. Stage 4 Form: This form asks students to make inferences about how the author’s life affected his/her writing.
9. Suggested outline for written report.
10. Format for PowerPoint Slides – This is a suggested format for PowerPoint slides if you are having your students present their information instead of or in addition to writing a report.
11. Rubric for written report.
Additional recommendations – This project can be modified by only having students complete certain sections. It can also be modified by having students complete just a PowerPoint or just a paper and not both. If using the project in its entirety, I recommend putting all student papers into a folder. I would also recommend giving students a list of due dates and deadlines. This project can be done entirely in school, at home, or in a combination of both.