Looking for a creative way to teach Genetics this year? This COMPREHENSIVE project-based learning case is based upon the famous Fugate clan that possessed the gene for blue skin and lived in the mountains of Kentucky. Students explore the basics of genetics as they operate in medical teams to investigate the family tree of their patient, a newborn baby named Ella. Student teams must construct a pedigree from this information and assign genotypes to each individual. They must also research to diagnose her condition. The case ends with a CER presentation at a medical meeting. This stand-alone activity includes everything you need to engage your students in a real-world application of genetics!
This file is a ZIPPED file. Please make sure you have the appropriate program to open it. All files included in the zipped file are in pdf format.
Materials Included in This PBL File:
Teacher's Guide and Handouts For Patient Folder: PDF 24 pgs
1. Blank Grade Sheet/ Job List
2. Medical Team Notes
3. Simple Genetics Practice Problems (Punnett Squares)
4. Research Report
5. Blood Lab Report
6. Patient Family History and Genealogical Report/ Pedigree Analysis
7. Patient Diagnosis Report
8. Medical Meeting Presentation Worksheet / Requirements/ Rubric
Sketch Notes INCLUDING Student Notes for each one: PDF 10 pgs
1. Mendel- Intro to Genetics
2. Mendel- Model of Inheritance (Punnett Squares)
PPT Presentations (non-editable)
1. Genetics Unit PBL (29 slides, includes many photos)
2. Pedigrees (11 slides, with photos)
3. Medical Meeting Presentation (6 slides)
Additional Materials: PDF format
1. Pedigree People (small and large) 4 pgs
2. Blank Punnett Square (to laminate for group practice) 1pg
3. Exit Slip- Dominant or Recessive?
4. Exit Slip- Rule Out?
5. Tentative Schedule (My timeline for my class)
6. PBL Grade Sheet (How I counted it for my class)
7. Ella’s pedigree (key for the patient’s family) 1 pg
BONUS Assessment: PDF 10 pgs
1. Pedigree Quiz PDF (w/key; 10 quest, 2 pedigrees to analyze)
2. Pedigree Practice Worksheet (1pg w/teacher’s key)
3. Inheritance Quiz PDF that includes Pedigrees- (20 quest w/teacher’s key)
*Please Note- This comprehensive case INCLUDES the Pedigrees PBL that I have listed separately https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Pedigree-PBL-The-Blue-People-of-KY-Incl-Sketch-NotesTeachers-GuidePPT-Quiz-3678687
VISIT MY NEW WEBSITE! www.biologysketchnotes.com
See my blog for additional pictures and tips about how I used this activity with my students https://ateacherontheedge.wordpress.com/2018/02/25/the-blue-people-of-kentucky-such-an-awesome-project-based-learning-project/
For more information about using/writing PBLs in your classroom, please read this post https://ateacherontheedge.wordpress.com/2018/03/06/how-to-write-a-project-based-learning-pbl-case-for-your-class-the-easy-way/
For step-by-step instructions (and some of my students' examples!) using easel.ly for creating infographics for this project click here https://ateacherontheedge.wordpress.com/2018/03/06/making-infographics-easy-with-easel-ly/
Please visit my blog for a more complete explanation of how I use Sketch Notes with the students in my classroom
Don't forget to FOLLOW ME on TPT https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Drm
for updates and ideas!
Please read: This is a nonrefundable digital download. Please read the description carefully and examine the preview file before purchasing.
© Copyright 2018 Dr. Shelley Montgomery. All rights reserved. Permission is granted to copy pages specifically designed for student or teacher use by the original purchaser or licensee. The reproduction of any other part of this product is strictly prohibited. Copying any part of this product and placing it on the Internet in any form (even a personal/classroom website) is strictly forbidden. Doing so makes it possible for an Internet search to make the document available on the Internet, free of charge, and is a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).