Here is a lesson plan/mini unit plan that introduces India. The main focus is on India and its geography. This is a great introduction for before you get into India as a civilization or India's history. You can teach this anywhere from one day (might be too much and too quick) up to 3-4 days/lessons.
1) Blank Map activity which has students discover the geography of India. They have to locate important areas and climate zones of India and they become more familiar with where India is.
2) 27 Slide Powerpoint presentation that goes into detail about India;s geography and its impact on India throughout history.
3) There is a short reading about India and its geography with three discussion/comprehension questions to test for understanding.
4) There is a fill in the blank worksheet that goes along with the reading or can be used separately as a homework or review sheet the day after you look at the slide show or introduce the topic.
5) There are 6 review multiple choice questions that are a great way to test for understanding and use as a closure activity.
Check out my Product on the Geography of Africa