Computer Store – Drafting/Design Project Description
This project can be drawn in CAD or with traditional drafting tools.
Students have an opportunity to draw a commercial/retail building that serves as a computer sales and repair facility. Although it is shown as a single standing structure it can also be part of a small outdoor mall or a larger indoor mall. The floor plan contains sales and service area with display fixtures and counters, a service area workroom with workbenches, a private office, a combination break room/conference room, an inventory storage room and a rest room.
* Package includes 10 architectural drawings listed below. Time and ability may determine how many drawings
each student will complete. It is not necessary to complete all 10 drawings.
* Included are detailed step by step graphic and written directions for drawing the floor plan and also for drawing
the front elevation. This building is 30’ wide by 42’ deep.
* Drafting paper downloads are included with a title block and borderline on legal size drafting paper (8½” x 14”)
format with a ¼” light gridded background. Larger size drafting paper can be used as this will allow more
space between dimensions.
* Drafting level is for intermediate level drafting students. Beginner students will require assistance to complete
this package. Modifications can be made such as only requiring the simplified layout floor plan and drawing only
the front elevation.
* Color rendering of the front elevation can be made by drawing in the side parking lots and landscaping followed
by shading in or filling in the front elevation with compatible colors.
Design Project Ideas:
1.) Design Alternate Front Elevations for the Computer Store
2.) Design Alternate Floor Plans for the Computer Store
3.) Design Alternate Business Floor Plans for the Building
4.) Design Alternate Business Elevations for the Building
The following scale drawings are included with this package.
(Drawings have a light ¼” gridded background - Scale: ¼”=1’-0” - Paper Size 8½”x 14”)
1. Layout Floor Plan – floor plan with simplified dimensions
2. Dimension Floor Plan – floor plan with detailed dimensions
3. Front Elevation – front elevation with foundation and dimensions
4. Rear Elevation – rear elevation with foundation and dimensions
5. Left Side Elevation – left side elevation with foundation and dimensions
6. Right Side Elevation – right side elevation with foundation and dimensions
7. Site Plan (Scale 1’=20’) - site plan with dimensions and landscaping
8. Color Rendering of Front Elevation – front elevation rendering in color
9. Color Rendering of the Floor Plan – floor plan rendering in color with furniture
10. Color Rendering of the Site Plan (Scale: 1’=20’) - site plan rendering in color
We hope you enjoy this activity as much as we have creating it.
Tony and Linda Iorlano
Keywords: CAD, Drafting, Floor Plan, Rendering, Retail Store, Architecture, Architectural Design