I have been teaching this Computers course for over 10 years (3-4 classes each year). Each time I teach these lessons, I update and refine them with new videos, screen shots, instructions, student exemplars etc.
This whole computers course is divided into 2 parts. Due to the size of the files I could not upload all of the lessons and actIvities into one product. This is Part 2. There is a link to Part 1 at the bottom of this description. You will want to buy both parts to cover the entire computers course.
Click on the link below for Computers Whole Course - Part 1
Computers Course - Part 1
These lessons and activities can be easily added and used within Google Classroom
In addition to the PDF lessons in this bundle, I am now offering buyers the extra option to email me once they have purchased this bundle to receive editable copies of these lessons/activities through Google Drive.
1. Growing Up Online
Digital media and the World Wide Web have transformed modern culture
* Is technology moving faster than we can adapt to it?
* Is our 24/7 wired world causing us to lose as much as we've gained?
* How has technology changed the way we learn?
* How has technology changed the way we conduct war?
* How is the internet transforming childhood?
This lesson contains links to view 2 (60 minute +) videos along with a series of response questions for students to consider and answer during various segments of the videos.
2. Computer Crime
This lesson includes links to videos, articles and infographics about cyber crime that you can access online. It includes summary slides as well as questions and activities that you can do with your students.
• Mafiaboy - a 15 year old boy who took down Yahoo and CNN
• Newest types of computer viruses
• Computer Crime Definitions
• Cyber Warfare against countries - Estonia
• How Hackers Stole $45 Million in Two Days
• Microsoft and FBI take down global cyber crime ring
• Top Hacker Shows Us How It's Done
3. E-Waste and Digital Dumping
lectronic waste or e-waste is broadly defined as anything that is being thrown away by consumers that contains a circuit board. The 1st law of the Digital Age is “Newer is Better”. Old TV’s, phones and computers become obsolete electronic garbage called e-waste. Digital Dumping is the practice of exporting outdated equipment to developing countries like China and India. Peasant farmers, working for just $8/day, with burned hands are breaking down America’s Computers.
This presentation includes a link to a video investigation that explores Digital Dumping.
• Explore the common toxic components in digital devices and their effects on the body
• Examine more environmentally friendly ways of dealing with electronic waste
• Create an e-waste digital poster (Student Exemplars included)
This lesson explores Twitter.com through a series of articles, an infographic and a video about Twitter’s “Miraculous Moment”.
• How Twitter Makes Money including Promoted Tweets and Promoted Trends
• Their Mission statement, Monthly Active Users and Revenues
• Memorable moments since the first Tweet was sent on March 21, 2006
Facebook - Analyzing this technology giant
• Students will analyze Facebook - the social networking technology giant from a business perspective.
• This lesson contains links to online videos and articles with questions for students to explore.
6. IBM (Bringing 5 Senses to Digital Devices)
* Our 5 senses are touch, sight, hearing, taste and smell
* We think of the five senses as exclusive to living things
* What if your hardware shared your senses?
* IBM is working on a project to bring the 5 senses to our computing devices through innovations over the next 5 years
7. Tech News (#1, #2, #3)
These activities have links to online articles and videos about technology news along with questions and summary information.
8. Tech Presentations
* Group project investigating technology websites
9. Tech Jobs
This lesson describes the following Tech Jobs...
2. Systems Analyst
3. Web Developer
4. Network Administrator
5. Computer Technician
6. Graphic Designer
7. Database Administrator
8. Mobile Applications Developer
9. SEO Specialist
It also includes...
• Tips on applying for jobs
• The importance of networking
• Job search activities
• Careers test
• Online articles (reading and questions)
10. Animoto Movie Creator
• The easiest way to make beautiful videos online
• Stunning video styles
• Add captions and titles to your photos and video clips
• Make FREE videos
This lesson includes screen shots and step-by-step instructions to help teachers and students create amazing online videos using Animoto.com.
1. Creating a Quick Free Account
2. 50 Free Student Plus Accounts For Longer Videos
3. Inserting Images and Video
4. Changing Video Styles
5. Downloading and Inserting Songs
6. Previewing Video
7. Producing and Sharing
8. 2 Student Activities
9. Video Exemplars
11. GoAnimate Animated Videos
• Engage your students with video
• Animated movies made easy
• Excellent for a variety of subjects
• Prior to 2013, I had my students use a website called Xtranormal to make animated movies. Xtranormal disappeared in August 2013.
• I found GoAnimate.com and started using it to make animated movies in November 2013.
• All of my classes use this program and it is very user friendly.
This lesson contains instructions, tips, screen shots, activities and marking schemes for creating animated movies with your students using GoAnimate.com.
12. MovieMaker Movie Creator
• This presentation will get you started with using Windows Movie Maker - Your very own movie studio.
• It provides step by step instructions for adding photos, videos, audio files etc.
• Quickly add photos and footage from your PC or camera into Movie Maker
• Enhance your movie with audio and a theme
• Movie Maker adds transitions and effects automatically so your movie looks polished and professional
• This lesson includes activities along screen shots and instruction bubbles to make it easy for teachers and students to use Windows Movie Maker
13. Comic Life Create Comics
• Turn your photos into a comic
• Fonts, templates, panels, balloons, captions and lettering art
• Add photo filter effects and lettering options
• Combine your words and pictures into a story
• Great for doing school projects, how to guides, lesson plans and book reports
This lesson includes screen shots and instructions for teaching students how to use Comic Life. It also includes 2 activities for students to perform using Comic Life and student exemplars.
14. Storybird Develop Digital Picture Books
• A new literacy tool for a new generation
• Inspire students to write and read better, and more often
• Beautiful art inspires students and jumpstarts their writing
• Students unlock the stories found within the art
• Easy to use features guide the creative process
"Your Words. Our Art. Amazing Stories. Simple tools help you build books in minutes. Let the art inspire and surprise you as you write." (Storybird.com)
* This lesson includes screen shots and instructions to help teachers and students use the website Storybird.com
* It demonstrates how to set up student accounts and gives step-by-step instructions for creating picture books and poems
15. Bitmoji Create an Emoji
• This fun activity
includes screen shots and instruction bubbles to help students and teachers create their own personal emoji
using Bitstrips or Bitmoji! Emojis are small digital images of people.
1. Edit facial features such as face shape, eyes, hair (color, length, style), skin color and nose
2. Add extra features such as hats, headphones and glasses
3. Finish your emoji by selecting from a variety of clothing options
4. Share images with classmates and teachers
16. Apple vs. Microsoft
• Discovered the future of computing including the mouse and the first use of graphics on a computer
• Fired from Apple and returned years later to rebuild the company
• Bought Pixar and made Toy Story
• Discovered computers at age 12 and launched Microsoft
• Changed the way people thought about computers
• Now working on giving away his money (27 Billion dollars to charities)
This Lesson includes links to several videos, website investigations, infographics and online articles along with questions for students to explore and discuss.
17. Internet History
Students will investigate the development of the Internet and the World Wide Web. This presentation includes summary slides of important historical dates as well as links to videos and online articles. Discussion questions and activities are included for student engagement and understanding.
1. Internet and World Wide Web Definitions
3. TCP/IP and Tim Berners-Lee
4. World Wide Web Timeline
5. First Webpage (article)
6. Internet Archive (article and video)
7. History of the Internet (video)
8. What is the Internet…Really? (video)
9. Where Good Ideas Come From (video)
18. Napster, Titans of Tech
• Napster was the first file sharing application
• It revolutionized the way we use computers
• Many of todays largest companies, including Apple’s iTunes, benefitted from the trend Napster started
e-commerce or electronic commerce is using the internet to exchange information and conduct business.
Topics and Activities...
1. Advantages of e-commerce
2. Comparison shopping
3. Reasons why customers are reluctant to shop on-line
4. Security Risks
6. Electronic Data Interchange
10. Click and Mortar companies
11. Bricks and Clicks
12. E-commerce examples: e-Bay, kijiji and Etsy.com
13. Activity #1 Buying Stuff On-line
14. Activity #2 Find an e-commerce site
15. Activity #3 Comparison Shopping
16. Activity #4 Preparing to set-up and e-commerce business
20. Examining Infographics
* An infographic (information graphic) is a representation of information in a graphic format designed to make the data easily understandable at a glance.
* People use infographics to quickly communicate a message and to simplify large amounts of data.
Students will view, study and answer a series of questions on different infographics. Links to access these infographics are located at the bottom of each PowerPoint slide.
21. Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
• Quality Content
• Hiring an SEO Specialist
• Title Tags
• Social Media
This Search Engine Optimization lesson includes SEO information,review questions and online article activities.
22. Weebly Website Creator
• Weebly is a user friendly FREE website builder
• Choose from hundreds of modern themes
• Layout pages with ready-made building blocks
• Customize your design to find the right look
• Publish your site in a single click
• Use your own domain or a free Weebly address
• It’s surprisingly easy to make a high-quality site
This lesson contains instructions for…
• Setting Up Student Accounts
• Adding Text Titles and Graphics
• Uploading Video and Images
• Changing Themes
• Publishing and Viewing
23. Wix Website Creator
• Web creation made simple
• No coding
• FREE, Drag-and-drop website development platform with HTML5 capabilities
This lesson includes screen shots, instructions, topic ideas, student exemplar and a rubric to enable students to create websites using wix.com
• Edit this site
• How the editor works
• Help Center
• Pages (Adding a Page, Settings and SEO)
• Design (Fonts, Background, Colors)
• Add (Text, Titles, Images, Media, Shapes, Slideshows and Buttons)
• Website Topic Ideas
• Graphic Novel Creator!
• Choose backgrounds, characters and props
• Add dialogue, captions and special effects
• It only takes a few seconds to sign up with Comic Master and use this program for FREE!
• Save and print finished Comics
This lesson includes screen shots to display how easy it is for students to create free accounts and use the drag and drop features in Comic Master. It is intended to introduce Comic Master and give students a reference guide to all of its features.
This lesson also includes an activity, marking scheme, tips and student exemplars.
Depending on the course of instruction, teachers can also select a topic for their Comic Master projects. Students could display their knowledge of subject matter or create a short graphic novel on a topic of their choice.
• Animate your presentations!
• Create professional-looking animated explainer videos and animated presentations
• Simple to use interface
• Wide variety of animation tools right at your fingertips
• Dynamic characters, eye-popping images, and active text sequences
• Capture audience attention and imagination
This lesson includes screen shots, instructions and tips for creating animated presentations using Powtoon.com. It also includes a video activity for students to create using Powtoon.
• “The easiest design program in the world” - The Webbys
• “Canva enables anyone to become a designer” - PSFK
• This lesson includes easy to follow step-by-step instructions, screenshots and student exemplars to show students how to use Canva.
• It also includes 3 activities for students to complete using Canva including a Social Media Post, Facebook Post and Facebook Header.
27. Google Hangouts
• Google Hangouts is a communications service that allows students to initiate and participate in text, voice or video chats, either one-on-one or in a group.
• Google Hangouts is a great tool for students to share ideas, information and answer questions while working together in groups
• This guide utilizes step-by-step instructions and screenshots to show students and teachers how to access and use Google Hangouts
28. Google Form Rubrics
This resource shows teachers how to create, complete and send rubrics to students using Google Forms. This guide utilizes easy to follow step-by-step instructions and screenshots. This allows teachers to mark projects/activities and send results to students directly in Google Drive.
Note: This resource does not contain rubrics but rather shows you how to create your own individualized rubrics within Google Forms
• The two types of Google Form questions that are effective for creating rubrics are are multiple-choice grid and linear scale
• You can convert an existing rubric into an image and add it to your Google Form rubric
• You can print out or send the completed form data to students via email by viewing the responses in Sheets
29. Summative Activity
This is an end of year/semester activity to evaluate your students ability to use information technology software (Microsoft Office or Google Drive).
Students will showcase their word processing, spreadsheet, desktop publishing, presentation software and website design skills.
Students will perform electronic research and examine current issues related to the impact of information and communication technology.
Specifically, students will complete the following requirements…
1. Research a technology device
2. Website comparison
3. Competitor Analysis
4. Security Software Comparison
5. Create a Presentation
6. Create a Flyer
* Marking Schemes are provided for each section
* Student Exemplars are included to help students understand how their completed projects should appear
* Curriculum Expectations covered for each section of this project are listed at the bottom of each of the PowerPoint slides
This Computers Exam consists of 3 parts
1. Microsoft Word Formatting Assignment
2. Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet and Graphs
3. Microsoft Publisher Poster
This exam is designed to last 1.5 hours and I have been using it for 3 years
This exam includes student exemplars and a marking sheet
You will save over 50% by purchasing this bundle.
Click on the link below for Computers Whole Course - Part 1
Computers Course - Part 1
Purchase of this product is for single classroom use by the purchaser only. It is a violation for individuals, schools, and districts to redistribute, edit, sell, or post this item on the internet or to other individuals.
Created by Gavin Middleton © TeachwithTech
TeachwithTech is not affiliated with the companies explored in this bundle.
Product names, logos, brands, and other trademarks featured or referred to within this lesson are the property of their respective trademark holders.
These trademark holders are not affiliated with TeachwithTech. They do not sponsor or endorse the contents, materials or processes discussed within this lesson.
Thanks for visiting my store! If you decide to make a purchase, please do not forget to leave feedback. I am very interested to read your thoughts about my products!
Also, don't forget to "FOLLOW" me for exciting new product announcements, sales, promotions and updates!