This Concept of Word or COW intervention for emergent readers includes 12 poetry (10 pages each) for the time of year between March and June. This resource is best for students who are needing help with connecting spoken word to print. Teachers model with a projection of the poem on a smartboard, use the poem on sentence strips with small groups, or the PDF with individual students.
Each 4-line poem includes the following:
1) the poem written on sentence strips for a pocket chart or small group work
2) teaching pages and a touchpoint page for student practice as the teacher reads
3) the poem with touchpoint underneath
4) the poem on1/4 pages to teach the poem with pictures and to put in book form
5) a key vocabulary word list for words in isolation
6) a page in black and white for students to color and work on within guided reading
7) and a final page that can be projected or printed for students in color.
The poems work well for repeated reading with parent volunteers, for sight word hunts, for letter recognition, and of course, concept of word. All poems in this set are the original work of Carla Fedeler at Comprehension Connection.
The poems include the following topics:
Please look at each of the sample pages for an example of the product as well as the preview collage. A sampler set of the poem in the preview is available as a freebie in my store.
Here's what buyers are saying about my COW bundles:
"I have bought and love all of your concept of word poems and activities! Now with the updated version, there is so much more to love! Great for teaching Kinders concept of word which is so important to reading! Thank you!" Mary G July 2018
"I have the spring pack and it works WONDERFULLY. Looking forward to using this back now!" Kasi D January 2017
"My children were so much better prepared for first grade after using this bundle!! Rhonda H. August 2016
Let me know if you have any questions.