This is a complete presentation about Conceptual Art. THERE ARE MANY ACTUAL SLIDES IN THE PREVIEW FOR YOUR REVIEW. THIS IS YOUR BEST GUIDE TO PRODUCT QUALITY.
* You might also like *
Conceptual Art, Free Poster
Word/Text as Art
Environmental Art, Earth Art
Young British Artists & Turner Prize
- art in which the idea presented by the artist is considered more important than the finished product, if there is one.
- threshold issue to consider was the common assumption that the role of the artist was to create special kinds of material objects.
- term "conceptual art" has come to be associated with various contemporary practices far removed from its original aims and forms.
- the word “conceptual” enlarged to include “intentional.” Yet the original conceptual artists considered the artist’s intent irrelevant to conceptual art.
- this enlargement of the term was promoted by the Young British Artists and the UK Turner Prize during the 1990s.
- conceptual art came to include all contemporary art that does not use the traditional skills of painting and sculpture.
- the original conceptual artists never contemplated these expansions.
- the rise of conceptual artists meant that artistic skill by such artists of that time came to be questioned. Many could not draw, paint, sculpt, etc.,
- another issue is that much of conceptual art cannot be sold because there is either no finished product or the product is designed to disintegrate or decay.
- so there are remaining issues regarding: the perceived low level of artistic talent among conceptual artists; the scarcity of market ready conceptual art products; and the general decay or disintegration of conceptual art already owned by museums and collectors due to non-use of archival materials.
EXCERPT (ART WORK):
Imponderable 1977 Marina Abramovic site-specific performance:
- Abramovic and her longtime partner Ulay face each other nude. They are positioned at the museum’s entrance. For visitors to enter they must squeeze through their nude bodies. The two show no reaction throughout.
- Abramovic’s art seeks to display the public's reaction to three component parts: to the nudity, to the body placement, and how visitors choose to enter.
- the artistic expression on display is the visitor’s reactions. The art was preserved through photographs and video.
EXCERPT (ART WORK):
- Myra Hindley (child murderer, UK), 1995, Marcus Harvey
- This work is based on a famous 1965 police mug style shot of child murderer Myra Hindley. She committed the 5 murders in tandem with her partner, Ian Brady.
- They were known as The Moors Murderers because the murders were committed on the English moors.
- This seems to just be an enlargement of that photo, which was plastered in papers across the UK for years.
- However, it was how this was made that transforms it into conceptual art, i.e., by using casts of an infant's hand to build up a mosaic of black, grey and white handprints, creating a reproduction of the photograph.
- Concept: the tiny handprints of an child juxtaposed against the world of the serial killer OR Hindley’s identity constructed out of an identity marker of potential child victims.