This emotional topic brings slavery & the Civil War into the present and involves race relations, how people interpret the past differently, states’ rights and free speech.
The Microsoft Word document includes:
• two four minute video clips from the Ken Burns Civil War series to help students understand this debate in a historical context.
• A 12 minute C-Span call-in segment in which callers express their views on the Confederate flag being removed from the South Carolina statehouse grounds
• An eleven question sheet of questions on the call in segment
• Nine discussion points for classroom debate
• A link to an excellent article on the topic that explains two different sides of the debate.
I encourage you to preview the materials before showing to students.
The Past is a Blast