Understanding the central conflict
in literature is essential to grasping a work’s overriding themes. When students can identify a story’s conflict, they can accurately summarize and analyze a text. This engaging and powerful 3-Day Conflict Mini-Unit
is designed to help students do just that! Help students identify the core types of conflicts in literary pieces with this mini-unit.
This conflict mini-unit provides numerous opportunities to develop the skill of identifying conflict. Each lesson starts with a fun and engaging activity – Famous Conflict Sort, Internal and External Conflict Judging (with paddles), and Conflict Task Cards. Then, students learn about and practice identifying conflict through whole group instruction, small group work, partnerships, and independent practice.
In this mini-unit, students will develop a deep understanding of literary devices, conflict, internal and external conflict, as well as the four major types of conflict in literature (character vs. self, character vs. character, character vs. nature, and character vs. society). Students will complete guided notes, reading comprehension passages, graphic organizers and conflict sketches. In addition, they’ll practice identifying conflict with conflict statements and while reading short and long reading passages (5). This is a fun unit for students and teachers!
This detailed CONFLICT mini-unit includes:
• 3 Detailed Daily Lesson Plans
• Famous Conflict Sort Activity with Protagonists and Antagonists
• Internal and External Conflict Paddle Cards
• Passages for Conflict Judging (8)
• Conflict Task Cards (8) and Record Sheet
• Guided Notes on Literary Devices, Conflict, and Types of Conflict
• 3 Short Practice Passages with Short Answer Questions
• Types of Conflict Graphic Organizer
• Types of Conflict Practice
• Conflict Definitions and Sketch Graphic Organizer
• Identifying Conflict Guided Notes
• Conflict Statement Practice
• 2 Long Practice Passages with Multiple Choice and Short Answer Questions
• All keys for student work and instruction
This unit is also a part of a Literary Devices Bundle.
The bundle is filled with 6 fun mini-units to teach literary devices! You can check it out HERE.
You may also like…
• Reading Comprehension Skills – Mini-Units
- Context Clues, Inferences, Cause and Effect, Main Idea, Sequencing, and Predicting
• 20 Creative Reading Response Activities
• Myth Study and Writing Unit
- Includes both an integrated and stand-alone version of the unit
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
*** Click HERE
to receive the Brain Waves Instruction Newsletter
filled with exclusive FREEBIES and Teaching Tips!
*** Click HERE
to become a seller on TpT
(Referral by Brain Waves Instruction)
Brain Waves Instruction