This lesson is designed to help students build knowledge about what are conjunctions, prepositions, and interjections. The lesson can be taught by you or a substitute in one to two class periods, but I planned it to be taught as mini-lessons every day for a week. This allows students to absorb the concept and use it in several ways over a longer time period. In this way, the knowledge should stay with them. I intended these activities to be used first thing in class every day as a bell-ringer activity. They are straight-forward and simple so that students can absorb the basic concepts easily.
I think having all the little pieces in place such as knowing what are the functions of conjunctions, prepositions and interjections is essential to strong, unambiguous writing. So, no matter what the age of your students, they can benefit from this lesson. This may be a review for older students but can help if they need to shore up any of their concepts.
The lesson contains:
• All teacher instructions
• A worksheet on conjunctions—both coordinating and correlative
• A worksheet on prepositions and interjections
• A worksheet on definitions and functions of conjunctions, prepositions, and interjections
• A worksheet review in which students write sentences using conjunctions, prepositions, and interjections
• A Quiz over Conjunctions, Prepositions, and Interjections
• All KEYs
This lesson is also in a Bundle. Find it in my store under Trimester One.