This set contains 100 cards (25 pages of four cards each):
• One card has the function,
• One card has the graph of a function,
• One card has the graph of the derivative of a function, and
• One card has a description about the function or the derivative.
There are 25 different functions, the matching graphs of the function, the matching graph of the derivative, and the matching description.
The set should be duplicated on card stock and cut apart. Depending upon the size of your class you can probably divide this activity into several days of matching the cards. I usually distribute three of the cards (keeping the function back) randomly to a class and have them find the complete set. Once they have found the three cards that fit together, they can pick out the function. Select functions that will cause the students to have to really think about what the graphs are showing. (Keep the trigonometric functions to be used on a separate day together.)
Differentiate the instruction by selecting different functions.
A full set of directions is included with the cards.
This is a great activity for AP Calculus, both AB and BC, and regular calculus class.
Cards have been coded for easy checking of student matching. An answer key is enclosed.
Cards should always be printed in the landscape mode.
Comments from buyers:
• Fun class activity, thank you!
• This is an amazing activity that makes the students familiar with the vocabulary of curve analysis.
• Great activity. Lots of good math conversations as the students were working in pairs to match the graphs.
• I like it.
• Great activity!! My students use it constantly when they finish early to refresh. They have even found ways to make it more challenging by changing what card they start with and by sketching their own functions (or derivatives).
• Students gained a lot of understanding from this activity!
• What a helpful activity!! Thanks so much!