These can be used in conjunction with lessons, or as a review, for Common Core State Standard RI 3. It’s important for students to recognize logical connections within a text. This helps their comprehension, as well as helping to build schema as they make connections with other texts about similar topics or ideas.
There are 6 total flip-booklet activities. Within each category – historical events, scientific ideas and steps in a procedure – there are 2 flip-booklet activities. Each flip-booklet includes a mini-passage, graphic organizer and text based questions. There are also question prompting posters for students to use as they are reading the articles.
My suggested use would be to complete one of the two flip-booklets (per category) in class, then send the other home for homework or use later for test prep or as review.
- Give each student two sheets of colored paper.
- Layer the two sheets of paper, so that there are flaps.
- Fold the sheets of paper down, stapling at the top of the fold.
- Give the students each of the 3 worksheets that go with the foldable.
- Students cut out the textboxes and labels and glue them on or under the correct flaps.
- Students complete the activities for each of the flip-booklets.
(c) 2015 Lindsay Flood
For SINGLE CLASSROOM use ONLY!