Also included in
- Great lab experiences are the key to a successful chemistry or physical science course. Spice up your class by having your students perform these 15 "Must-Do" chemistry and/or physical science labs. These labs cover density, conservation of mass, stoichiometry, percent composition, periodic trends,$37.25$47.50Save $10.25
- This "Matter and Change Bundle" includes everything you need to teach a unit on the properties of matter to your physical science or chemistry students. Many resources are available in BOTH printable and digital formats. The bundle contains a 37-slide PowerPoint presentation, lecture notes for the$34.99$45.72Save $10.73
This lab on the Law of Conservation of Mass can be used with physical science or chemistry classes. The lab activity will provide your students with a clear visual and hands-on experiment dealing with the Law of Conservation of Mass. The activity includes three mini-experiments. In each, students will collect quantitative data that proves that mass is conserved during chemical changes.
PURPOSE OF THIS LAB:
To determine experimentally whether mass is conserved in a particular set of chemical reactions.
REQUIRED MATERIALS AND EQUIPMENT:
- Beral pipets: Thin-stem and Jumbo stem
- Plastic bottles with caps
- 10 mL graduated cylinder
- White vinegar
- Silver nitrate
- Sodium chloride solution
- Alka seltzer tablets
- Sodium hydroxide (1M solution)
What will the students be doing??
- Students will carry out three mini-experiments to prove the Law of Conservation of Mass.
- First experiment: Acid/Base Reaction
- Second experiment: The Formation of a Precipitate
- Third Experiment: The Formation of a Gas
- In each experiment, students will visually see that a chemical reaction is taking place.
- Students will collect quantitative data to prove that mass is conserved during a chemical reaction.
What is included in this product?
- Editable lab handouts that are ready to be printed and passed out to your students.
- Complete instructions.
- Teacher Guide containing tips, tricks, and suggestions.
- Complete Answer Key
- Everything you need for the successful completion of this lab.
Your download will include handouts that are ready to be copied and passed out to your students. Handouts include: Title, Purpose, Introduction, Materials, Safety Precautions, Procedure, Analysis Questions, Student Data Pages, Answers to all Questions, and Teacher Preparation Notes.
You will receive both an editable Word document and a pdf of this lab.
Related Products Include:
For updates about sales and new products, please follow my store:
I would love to have you follow me at these locations as well: