· I can correlate between renewable and non-renewable resources and how they both effect our world
· I can construct an argument on my position for recycling
· Acetone (put in a cool looking bottle)
· Mini metal pie pans or glass for each student
· Styrofoam packing peanuts
· Cornstarch packing peanuts
· Other Styrofoam products (Ex: cups from fast food restaurants, egg cartons, lunch trays)
This lab is a lot of fun and can open up a lot of new discoveries. The students can see the relationship between a solvent and solvate. The students learn the difference between renewable and non-renewable resources and how they both effect our world. At the end of the lab the students construct an argument on recycling. They will also learn about plastics and how they are coded.