Also included in
- Middle School Science Bundle for Matter and Its Interactions. This bundle covers NGSS MS PS1-1, NGSS MS PS1-2, NGSS MS PS1-3, NGSS MS PS1-4, and NGSS MS PS1-5. Students will learn all the particles and molecules that form matter and how heat energy and chemical reactions affect matter. Save 20% by p$29.20$36.50Save $7.30
- This Bundle for Utah SEEd 8th grade includes science resources for each strand and standard. Each unit included addresses specific Utah SEEd standards for 8th grade. Students will love these engaging activities for Utah SEEd 8th Grade. You will love saving time by having someone creating resources w$99.08$123.85Save $24.77
The Law of Conservation of Matter: Students will make a model to demonstrate that the total number of atoms does not change in a chemical reaction and matter is conserved. Students will learn about the conservation of mass and matter through hands-on science investigations, developing and using models and follow-up pages. Students will learn to count atoms. They will also learn that the same number and type of atoms in the reactants are found in the product, although they might be rearranged.
This resource includes:
- a slide show
- strategic notetaking guide
- two labs
- a hands-on activity making a physical model
- an informational text article
- response pages
- a quiz
Science Standards Addressed in this Unit:
NGSS MS-PS1-5. Develop and use a model to describe how the total number of atoms does not change in a chemical reaction and thus mass is conserved.
Utah SEEd Standard 8.1.6 Develop a model to describe how the total number of atoms does not change in a chemical reaction, indicating that is conserved. Emphasize demonstrations of an understanding of the law of conservation of matter. Balancing equations and stoichiometry will be learned at the high school level. (PS1.B)
Note to Teacher: My resources, including the slide show, are not editable. They are secure for copyright reasons.
The focus of this unit is on the introduction to the concept of the Law of Conservation of Mass. The words: mass and matter are both used in this lesson and in the scientific community when talking about this law.
If you have questions about my resources, please contact me at email@example.com
Save money and purchase as part of this bundle: Matter and Its Interactions
The labs use simple materials: vinegar, powdered drink mix, baking soda, water, balloon, and a scale that can measure in grams. You will also need some plastic building blocks for the hands-on physical model.
Remember that leaving feedback earns you TPT points toward future purchases. Also, FOLLOW ME to be notified when new products are added. This is a huge bonus because my products are always 50% off for the first 24 hours they are posted
This resource is created by Lynda R. Williams. If you have questions about Teaching Science resources, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please see my other resources for middle school science: