Consonant Blends Game
: My Consonant Blends Game (also known as an Initial Blends Phonics Game) - 4 in a Row - is an excellent Literacy Center Activity. It provides a SOCIAL & ENJOYABLE way to practice the initial blends sl, cl, gl, bl, fl, pl, str, br, gr, cr, fr & dr.
Essence of the Game
Students place counters alternately on the game board and read the sight words. The winner is the first person to get 4 of their counters to line up horizontally, vertically or diagonally.
- Print this board and laminate it.
- One die (yes die is the singular, dice is the plural)
- Colored counters for each player e.g. Player 1 = red Player 2 = green.
How to Play
1. Roll the die.
2. Read a sight word with the same number as the die.
3. Place one colored counter on the sight word if read correctly.
4. The winner is the one to have 4 in a row either vertically, horizontally or diagonally.
Tips and Hints
• This game works best as a two player game.
• Can be played without a die - children just choose words.
• Try playing best of three plays – this helps to reinforce sight word vocabulary.
• Rules can be adapted to get children to spell the word.
Included in the Download
4 High Color Boards
4 Black & White Boards
1 set of Game Rules
1 PowerPoint File with all the Colored Board for Whole Class Exploration and Discussion
Board 1 - bl, fl & pl
- black, blank, blast, blaze, bleed, blend, blue, bloom, blunt, blob, blade, blanket, flag, flake, flame, flash, flat, fleet, fly, flight, flip, flower, flap, flesh, place, plane, plain, planet, plant, play, please, plenty, plot, plow, pluck & plum.
Board 2 - sl, cl & gl
- slab, slam, slang, slip, slap, sleek, sleep, slice, slow, slug, slump, sly, slippers, claim, clam, clamp, clap, claw, clever, click, clock, close, cloud, glad, gloss, glance, glass, glee, glider, glitter, globe, gloom, glory, glove, glimpse
Board 3 - str, br & gr
- strap, straw, strain, stray, stream, street, string, strip, strong, strand, stress, brass, brave, bread, brick, bride, bridge, brush, brother, bring, brave, brace, branch, break, grape, graph, grass, great, green, grill, grow, gravy, gram, grab, grain & grant.
Board 4 - cr, fr, dr
- crab, crash, crawl, crayon, crazy, cream, creek, creep, crew, crime, crisp, crowd, frame, freckle, free, freeze, fresh, friend, frog, from, front, frost, frown, fruit, drag, dragon, drain, draw, dream, dress, drink, drive, drip, drop, dry & drill.
PLEASE CHECK OUT MY MEGA BUNDLE!
- The package includes ALL
the Math and Literacy games currently in my store PLUS
every resource I create for the next YEAR
It's like a great classroom resource that just keeps on giving. :-)
CLICK HERE to see the Mother Load :-)