I have found that my elementary students need a little bit of structure and accountability during their Makerspace time in our Media Center. Thus, this kit addresses that need by giving them a structure via a Mission sheet that they guides them, gives them time limits (set by you), and assesses their group work with a rubric. They still have all the Creativity that is the cornerstone of Makerspace, but with some accountability!
This Makerspace Bundle has the printables you need for a Construction Makerspace Center in which students build a structure of their choice. In a nutshell, students use the Mission Log sheet to plan and build. Then, they incorporate technology by taking and printing a picture of their creation. The student instruction handouts help them to figure out and do this independently without you needing to hold their hand. Finally, they write a review statement about their creation and post their items on the Makerspace Sharing Board or publish it in the class Makerspace Book.
You will need to provide building materials whether they be commercial block kits or recycled materials.
***A lot of the printables come in an editable format so that you can make them your own depending on your environment and needs.
1. Building Center Materials list
2. Building Mission Log - This is a Step-by-Step Instruction Sheet for the students to follow at the center. It follows the Plan, Do, Review format. There are two versions that differ in the type of Review you'd like to have your students do. I've included both as a PDF and as Editable Excel documents should you need to make changes to fit your situation.
3. Information on Sharing and Publishing
4. A Class Makerspace Notebook Cover
5. I Can Statements Poster
6. Idea Starter Poster
7. iPad Printing Instruction Handout (PDF & editable versions)
8. Makerspace Rubric (PDF & editable versions) I created this rubric as a way to hold students accountable for their time. It includes the goals of: staying on task, being responsible, producing quality work, working cooperatively, and cleaning up. Again, I've included an editable Excel file should you wish to make changes.