Contents of a Dead Man's Pocket by Jack Finney Short Story Activity Bundle
This is a very comprehensive bundle with 40 pages of instructional resources and activities related to the short story, Contents of a Dead Man's Pocket by Jack Finney. I have broken the story into two parts and have created instructional materials for both parts of the short story. This unit was designed to give the teacher choice. I don’t expect that you will be able to use everything. These include,
1) Two separate Scavenger Hunts for Information for each part of the story
These are two 30 and 32 question active reading scavenger hunts where students actively hunt for information and analyze the text while they read the story. They also engage the students by enhancing enjoyment, and understanding. They focus on important events and twists in plot, vocabulary, and conflicts and also highlight important literary devices like irony and figurative language found in the story. They are always a hit with my high school kids. Answer sheets are included. I have also provided Word and PDF versions of these activities.
2) A Word Detective/Word Attack vocabulary activity.
This is a Word Detective-Word Attack and close reading Vocabulary Activity. Your students act as vocabulary detectives and use their word attack skills to determine the meaning of each new word in context. First students read actual passages and dialogues from the story and use contextual clues to determine the meaning and part of speech of each new word. They must provide at least one synonym for each new word. Then they use a thesaurus or dictionary to check their comprehension and find more synonyms for each word. . Answer sheets as well as PDF and Word versions are included.
3) Two comprehensive crossword puzzles on both parts of the story related to characters, events, vocabulary, and figurative language in the short story. I have included both the crossword weaver and PDF versions of this puzzle as well as an answer puzzle. It is very comprehensive and a great assessment activity
4) An Elements of a Short Story Graphic Organizer: An active reading graphic organizer that helps your students identify and chart the literary elements in the novel as they read.
5) A Contents of a Dead Man's Pocket step-by step lesson plan.
Again I don’t think that you will find a more comprehensive and fun bundle on the Web. There are over 50 pages of activities. Also I will be adding things as the year progresses. Get it now at this price!
6) A text of the story
You can also access my store at