Also included in
- This bundle contains 8 engaging activities you can use while teaching your students about using context clues to determine the meanings of unknown words as they read. These resources focus on the following five types of context clues:→ Definition clues→ Synonym clues→ Antonym clues→ Example clues→ I$13.99$27.50Save $13.51
Teach five types of context clues with these engaging activities. The five types include: synonyms, antonyms, definition, inference, and examples.
This file contains four options:
1. Introduction to Context Clues: FOLDABLE CRAFTIVITY- This includes 15 sentences with challenging words underlined. Students use context clues to determine the meaning of the underlined words, and they write the definition in the space provided.
2. Context Clues WORKSHEET- These worksheets contain the SAME 15 sentences that are on the foldable listed above... for a very specific reason. I BEGIN with this activity when I am ready to introduce the context clues foldable activity to my students. I begin with this because I feel that my ESL students will benefit from having answer choices during this introduction phase. It is also useful for younger students who are just being introduced to context clues for the first time. After students complete and check their worksheet, they use the worksheet to complete the foldable project. Students can transfer the selected word or phrase to the blank lines on their foldable. (If you have older students or students with proficient or advanced language levels, you may choose to skip the worksheet and proceed directly to the foldable listed in #1.)
3. Introduction to Context Clues: GOOGLE SLIDES ACTIVITY- This activity is identical to the one above except that it is available on Google Slides. There is one context clue type per slide (6 slides in all when you include the title slide).
4. FOLDABLE TEMPLATE that can be used with ANY BOOK- This option is available for teachers wishing to have students record unfamiliar words they encounter as they read independently, and the context clues they used to determine the word’s meaning. I have students use this foldable when they complete their Guided Reading assignments.
This also includes an option for placing the foldable in an interactive notebook!
Check out the PREVIEW to view all four options!
I have several more items related to context clues available in my store. (Just click on the links below to take a peek!)
Copyright by Deb Hanson
This item is a paid digital download from my TpT store
This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for more than one teacher is prohibited. This item is also bound by copyright laws. Redistributing, editing, selling, or posting this item (or any part thereof) on an Internet site that is not password protected are all strictly prohibited without first gaining permission from the author. Violations are subject to the penalties of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Please contact me if you wish to be granted special permissions!