Good readers are often able to use context clues to determine the meanings of unfamiliar words, when they are available in the text. These students notice the words and phrases in a passage that can assist them in figuring out what an unknown word means. Struggling readers who are not able to do this should be given direct instruction in how to effectively look for these types of clues. This lesson provides support for the struggling reader.
Using the Product
The diamond and coal cards are meant for student use during independent reading. Print the cards on cardstock. Cut the cards apart for student use. (The cards could also be punched and placed on a ring for storage or student use.)The student can go through the cards when stuck on understanding a word. The student can make a stack of diamonds found and coal strategies used during reading. It would be most effective to talk with the student after reading about how the cards helped.
Additional worksheets have been added for practice finding those clues using restatements and compare/contrast words. A page with small copies "My Compare and Contrast Toolkit" in black and white is included for interactive notebooks.
Table of Contents
• Lesson script and directions for use
• Diamond Cards for student use
• Coal Cards for student use
• A brief lesson on finding restatements and definitions
• A compare and contrast vocabulary toolkit
• The compare and contrast vocabulary toolkit in b/w and 4 to a page (for use in an interactive notebook)
• A lesson with compare and contrast words found in context
• A Venn diagram page to use with the above lesson
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.R1.1.4 Ask and answer questions to help determine or clarify the meaning of words or phrases in text.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.R1.2.4 Determine the meaning
of words and phrases in a text relevant to a grade 2 topic or subject.
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.2.4.c Use context to confirm or self-correct word recognition and understanding, rereading as necessary
TEKS Grade 1 6C Determine what words mean from how they are used in a sentence.
TEKS Grade 2 5B Use context to determine relevant meaning of unfamiliar or multiple meaning words.
TEKS Grade 3 4B Use context to determine relevant meaning of unfamiliar or multiple meaning words and homographs.
You May Also Like
Test Prep Vocabulary Using Context Clues
Context Clues Scavenger Hunt
My best seller!
Using Context Clues Scavenger Hunt Grades 1 - 3
Context Clues Scavenger Hunt Bundle
4 Context Clues activities
Tips for Customers
• Follow my store for product updates and sales.
• Follow my Facebook page to find occasional flash freebies and ½ price sales on new products here
• Please leave feedback to gain credit for future purchases.
• Contact me through Product Q&A with any questions, concerns, or problems.
Ann Fausnight ♥