This lesson uses examples from the book, Esperanza Rising. The use of the book during the lesson is optional. (This book was chosen in order to incorporate cultural education as well as the native language of many students, Spanish. Because the author writes from the point of view of a young girl who peppers Spanish in the narration, there are infinite examples of context clues. In this lesson, three of the unfamiliar words are Spanish.)
The teacher can choose to distribute one of two versions of the graphic organizer:
* One version has the example quotes on the graphic organizer
- Students only need to underline or highlight the context clue
* The other version has the examples blank.
- This is for older students (4th grade)
- Good for practicing note taking
- This blank version could also be used for any other text